cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 51 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Tezzwrote:

I am new to understanding this.  Does this mean, the telephones work off the internet?  And if so, what if there is a power cut in my house?

BT say that they can supply a battery backup that'll last for an hour. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 52 of 162

@Andy005wrote:
BT say that they can supply a battery backup that'll last for an hour. 

One hour? Are they joking! Most power cuts we’ve had last hours, whilst they repair the overhead lines which have typically suffered a geese or swan strike.

I’m starting to realise that BT have no idea about real life outside cities. Six years ago I had to phone for the air ambulance in the middle of a long power cut for our neighbour having a heart attack.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 53 of 162

@tarbat wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

More info here https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice-learnpage/?s_cid=con_FURL_digital-voice

Interesting bit about using your existing telephone. What “extra equipment” is needed?

QUOTE: “If you choose to keep your existing home phones we’ll need to send you some extra equipment, to ensure they work with your Digital Voice service.

Probably  some form of power supply, to provide the 50V needed for other phones, as there will not be any 50V supply from the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 54 of 162

@tarbat wrote:

Will it be possible to pair existing DECT phones with the new BT Digital Voice home phone? We have 4 existing DECT phones, I don’t really want to have to buy new ones, particularly if they can only ever be used with BT’s digital voice service.

Those of us who remember the old Broadband Talk service and the hub phones, will remember that although you could pair other phones with the DECT base unit in the home hub 1, they only allowed incoming and outgoing calls, there was no facility to save numbers in the home hub 1, like you could with the hub phones.

In respect, the Digital Voice system is very similar.

My only concern would be the fact that a normal landline phone does provide a DC path along the copper pair (FTTC and ADSL), and that helps to clear high resistance faults.

If that no longer happens, I can see issues with broadband disconnects, which will be impossible to diagnose using the standard quiet line test.

This was never a problem with Broadband Talk, as you always had the option to connect to the normal PSTN line.

This of course would not be a problem on FTTP.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 55 of 162

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Probably  some form of power supply, to provide the 50V needed for other phones, as there will not be any 50V supply from the home hub. 

I wonder why Sky can do it without any extra equipment but BT can’t? The Sky hub has a phone socket that works with a normal phone on their “Internet Calls” service. One clue might be that the Sky hub has two phone sockets, labelled “UK” and ”Italia/ROI”.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 56 of 162

@tarbat wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

I wonder why Sky can do it without any extra equipment but BT can’t? The Sky hub has a phone socket that works with a normal phone on their “Internet Calls” service. One clue might be that the Sky hub has two phone sockets, labelled “UK” and ”Italia/ROI”.

An internal boost convertor to provide the voltage, or perhaps they simply use the existing incoming 50V supply from their own exchange equipment?

BTs eventual aim, is to remove the aged exchange equipment, and provide all digital connections, but this is going to take some time, as some legacy services like alarms, still need a physical exchange connection.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 57 of 162

That's annoying, shouldnt be advertising as "wifi" phones. 

Also means if you want this service you're going to have to buy a SH2, and as mentioned those of us who use our own routers are stuffed,

Shame, would have been the perfect solution to the extension cabling issues we have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 58 of 162

This does seem to be a backward step in terms of customer choice. Are we going to see every ISP follow the same business model - if you want our voice service, you’ve got to use our hub/router and our phones. Then whenever you switch provider, you’ll need a new hub/router and new phones 😞

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 59 of 162

Agreed. 

Allow us to configure our own phones / apps etc using the BT SIP gateway, can only assume it's using radius to login?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 162

@Mark77 wrote:

That's annoying, shouldnt be advertising as "wifi" phones. 

Also means if you want this service you're going to have to buy a SH2, and as mentioned those of us who use our own routers are stuffed,

Shame, would have been the perfect solution to the extension cabling issues we have.

Remember, unless you purchase your own SH2 from another source, you are not "buying" anything from BT Retail, they are only loaning it to you, so if you move to another ISP, everything has to be returned to BT, or you will be charged for it.

The advantage of course, if it ever goes wrong, you will get it replaced for free.

DECT is a form of digital wireless system, so I supposed it could be loosely called WiFi , I suppose its easier for people to comprehend. The operating frequency is lower than wifi, which does give it a slight advantage as far as range is concerned. It also makes very efficient use of the bandwidth.

You can of course already remove your extension cabling, and simply use a cordless DECT phone system plugged into your master socket. Call quality will be very good, unless you have a line fault, but of course that would affect Digital Voice as well, as your broadband would not work properly.

0 Ratings