cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 111 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

Is there any more details about the DECT telephone handsets that BT provide?

I have one specific question - does the handset provide voice annunciation of the caller IDs name if that name is stored in the telephones phone book? This is an essential feature for my sight-impaired relative that they rely on on their current Panasonic DECT phone.

I need to advise them on whether to go for digital voice or not as they’re switching to BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 112 of 162

Thank you. I don't understand why BT landline charges are so high whilst my Mobile Company charges me £10 for unlimited calls as well as texting and 6Gb of data. Not sure how their landline charges can be sustained considering the more reasonable charges of the Mobile Phone Companies and the lack of geographic constraints.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 113 of 162

Currently numbers/names are not announced but the service is currently in development and that may well be incorporated before the POTS is discontinued. At the moment there's nothing to stop your relative from continuing to use their existing Panasonic DECT on an analogue landline and having the caller's name announced.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 114 of 162

I make all my outgoing calls on my BT Mobile now as it is unlimited minutes.

I just keep the landline as it comes with the broadband! People can leave messages on it, or call me on mobile if they wish. Many people don't have/use landline at all now.

Richard

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 115 of 162

@barnpiecewrote:

I make all my outgoing calls on my BT Mobile now as it is unlimited minutes.

I just keep the landline as it comes with the broadband! People can leave messages on it, or call me on mobile if they wish. Many people don't have/use landline at all now.

Richard

True, but there are very many that the landline is their lifeline.  Sick/disabled and elderly people rely on it, as mobile signals are not as reliable in an emergency.  I use carecall on my landline, which has been use often to get an ambulance.  The company do a mobile version, but quite often in my house, mobile signals are no good.  So there are many of us, that still need a landline that works even when there is a power cut.  BT I know are working on things, to help with this new service, to make sure it’s still working for chronic sick people like me, if there is a power cut.  Landline phones are very important to a very lot of us.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 116 of 162

Another question. If, instead of using the BT supplied phone, I use a Panasonic DECT basestation, will I see any improvement in sound quality, what BT are calling “HD Calling”? Will the internal ATA still use higher quality sound and pass that through to a connected telephone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 117 of 162

With BT DV you have to use BT phones supplied as the HH6 acts as a base station. HD calling is DV to DV via the internet, not the old analogue phone network. If you opt for DV the old service is switched off and you'll not get a dial tone if you plug an analogue phone into a phone socket.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 118 of 162

The Smart Hub 2 has a DECT base station built in, so for full functionality you would have to use the BT supplied phones, although other DECT handset may give limited features.

If you want to use your existing phone system, BT can supply some extra equipment which allows you to plug your phone system into the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2.

This would replicate the line conditions needed for your phone system to work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 119 of 162

Does IP telephone warble as much as mobiles do?  This is one reason why I don't make calls on my iPhone.  The sound quality from call centres abroad is always terrible.  Can you tell that the line is on the internet?  On my POTS line I can hear the birds in my aunt's garden 200 miles away?  It ought to be good; I listen to internet radio from France, USA and Greece.  The main problem is the big gaps and drop-outs.  I want it to be good!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 120 of 162

IP telephony is very good, as its given the highest priority (QOS) over the network, and has dedicated routers to handle the traffic.

Anyone who ever used the old Broadband Talk service, would remember how good it was.

Mobile phone networks are nowhere near as good as the technology is totally different.

0 Ratings