Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 166

New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

Digital Voice is the next-generation home phone service from BT.

On Digital Voice you’ll get great new benefits like crystal clear HD calling. You’ll also keep all the features you get today – like Call Protect and Voicemail.

We’re introducing Digital Voice as we upgrade our network to make it easier for you to connect on any device at home or on the go. We’ll be rolling it out to customers across the UK over the coming years.

We aim to finish the upgrade by 2025 and you’ll be invited to switch your home phone service over to Digital Voice when it’s available to you.  Upgrading to Digital Voice is free.

If you do choose to upgrade, you’ll need to swap your current home phone for our new digital home phone. We’ll give you a choice of handsets, free with your upgrade.

How can I get Digital Voice?

To begin with, we're offering Digital Voice only in certain scenarios to manage the number of customers moving over.

When you place an order, we'll let you know if you're eligible and take you through the benefits so you can decide whether or not to move across to Digital Voice at this time. If you have special services, such as a monitored burglar alarm or health pendant, you won't be able to have Digital Voice just yet.

165 REPLIES 165
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 166

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@SeanDwrote:

If you do choose to upgrade, you’ll need to swap your current home phone for our new digital home phone. We’ll give you a choice of handsets, free with your upgrade.

Thanks for the announcement, very informative and helpful. One question.

What's the reason for needing a new phone?  The Smart Hub 2 already has a phone socket labelled "Digital Voice Customers Only", so will a standard POTS phone work plugged into the Digital Voice socket on the Smart Hub 2?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 166

Hi @tarbat 

The new handsets work over wifi so it's only the charging bases that need to be plugged in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 166

@Andy005wrote:

The new handsets work over wifi so it's only the charging bases that need to be plugged in.

So does that mean a standard DECT phone basestation won't work if plugged into the phone socket labelled "Digital Voice Customers Only" on the Smart Hub 2?

I'd be reluctant to stop using our existing Panasonic DECT telephones when we finally get switched over to digital voice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 166

Will that be the phones connecting into our existing WiFi arrangements (disks etc) or will they have their own - different frequencies?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 166

@tarbatwrote:

@Andy005wrote:

So does that mean a standard DECT phone basestation won't work if plugged into the phone socket labelled "Digital Voice Customers Only" on the Smart Hub 2?

I'd be reluctant to stop using our existing Panasonic DECT telephones when we finally get switched over to digital voice.

I've just peeled the sticker off my SH2 and plugged in a phone that's 25 years old and it works. I hadn't tried one before.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 166

@gspearsonwrote:

Will that be the phones connecting into our existing WiFi arrangements (disks etc) or will they have their own - different frequencies?

Yes as long as you have the Smart Hub 2, I don't know what frequency but I would assume 2.4GHz.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 166

@Andy005 wrote:

@tarbatwrote:

@Andy005wrote:

I've just peeled the sticker off my SH2 and plugged in a phone that's 25 years old and it works. I hadn't tried one before.

Bear in mind that if you have dial tone on your normal landline anyway, this would have been extended to that socket on the SH2.

Those that remember the old Broadband Talk service, and the earlier home hubs, dial tone was always present at the home hub as a fallback facility, if  the Broadband Talk failed.

There was an internal mechanical relay inside, which did the changeover.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 166

There's no dial tone on the 'old landline'  @Keith_Beddoe when you transfer over and I believe that the socket on the SH2 is only enabled whilst it has power, I haven't tried it though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 166

So I wonder why you need special phones from BT if you can plug in an existing phone system?

If people were concerned about loss of mains power resulting in loss of phone connection, then I suppose a small UPS would be the answer. Either that, or a backup DC supply to the SH2.

0 Ratings