Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 251 of 264

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

You can of course connect a standard phone to the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2, or extend that connection over existing phone wiring.

Hozz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 252 of 264

An alternative is to get a Digital Voice Adapter which you can place further from the hub and plug a DECT phone into it, thus extending the range.

See

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/help/user-guides/Digital-Voice-Adapter-userguide.pdf

CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 253 of 264

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@glennbentleywrote:
Fair point!

I had that Broadband Talk service, first with the BT Voyager 2500V, and then the home hub 1. That was a very long time ago now, as some of the longstanding forum members may recall. So DV is nothing new, its just sales talk.

From what I have now been told, the only people on FTTC DV, were those on the trial, and they have the option of reverting back to a conventional phone line, if they wish.

Unless BT bring out an ATA interface, people are going to be stuck with a Smart Hub2 if they want DV, as that has the interface inside.

Indeed, which doesn't always work... or it didn't in my case 😞 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Chainsaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 254 of 264

Well I've finally read all 26 pages in this thread!

I'm about to upgrade from Fibre Halo1 (FTTC?) to probably Full Fibre 300.

I'm a bit confused when some people have said that they just connected their DECT phone to the phone port on the rear of the SH2 and it worked but looking at their phone it was a corded phone. I thought DECT meant cordless?

From what I can gather after reading this thread.

- You can connect a corded phone to the SH2 and it will work fine.

- You can cordless DECT phones to a Digital Voice Adapter (supplied by BT) to use your existing cordless DECT phones.

- You can use the BT DV phones with the SH2 and also plug a corded phone in the rear of the hub at the same time.

- The BT DV phones are NOT WiFi!! but DECT.

What I'm not sure about is can you use the BT DV phones AND your existing cordless DECT phones (via the DVA)?

I have written loads of notes after reading this thread so hopefully fully prepared when I ring tomorrow to register for Full Fibre 300.

Cheers....

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 255 of 264

@Chainsaw wrote:

What I'm not sure about is can you use the BT DV phones AND your existing cordless DECT phones (via the DVA)?

You can use the DV phones paired to the SH2 as dect base station and at same time connect an existing dect base station for normal cordless phone connected direct with no adapter to the phone socket on back of the SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Chainsaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 256 of 264

Hi imjolly,

Thats good news if it turns out that way.

Why have some people said that BT sent them a DVA to ensure that existing DECT handsets will work?

What situation is the DVA needed for?

Cheers again.

0 Ratings
Hozz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 257 of 264

You can use the DVA if you don’t want to connect your normal phone to the back of the router but want to put it somewhere else in the house.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 258 of 264

at start of DV trial there was talk that you needed an adapter to connect a standard phone to the hub but that is not needed and as others have posted you can connect standard corded/cordless phone direct to the socket on back of SH2.  you usually need to take off the sticker that says 'digital voice only'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
globe1nh
Contributor
Message 259 of 264

I have BT Fibre on Smart Hub 2 (Fibre to Cabinet, not to Premises) that delivers about 75Mbps.  At the moment I also have a standard BT landline.  I'm reluctant to go over to full BT Digital Voice because I'm in a building that's pretty much a cellular dead zone, and I don't like the idea of not having an alternative comms service if my broadband fails (I understand if I go full DV I can't switch back later.

If I keep the landline but plug my existing DECT base station into the 'phone socket on the Smart Hub 2 would that make any difference to call quality or am I just connecting back to the original landline?

0 Ratings
Chainsaw
Aspiring Contributor
Message 260 of 264

@imjolly @Hozz 

Cheers for that.

Too be honest we hardly use the landline now. We both have mobiles and signal is not that bad. We hardly get any power cuts as well.

I think I will opt or use DV then when I order FF300 and get the free phone and ask for a DVA at the same time as I want to continue using our current 4 x Dect phones with answering machine, with the dect base being away from the SH2.

I think I will go for the better of the free phones as it is slightly larger screen and colour.

Cheers guys. 🙂

0 Ratings