cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 91 of 247

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

It’s just that I know, mobile network are not reliable and is not good enough for me.  But, I do have other plans, if BT did change their mind, and try to force the switch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 92 of 247

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Well the plans are to switch off the copper network in 2025 and although I can't see it happening by then, it will happen at some point.

@licquorice A bit like the FDM to Digital offload, if that means anything to you, if not, just ignore what I said. That took many years longer that was planned.

Oh yes, certainly does, but it happened eventually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 93 of 247

@Tezz wrote:

It’s just that I know, mobile network are not reliable and is not good enough for me.  But, I do have other plans, if BT did change their mind, and try to force the switch.

I don't think they will keep the exchange open for just one customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 94 of 247

Who said it’s only one?  I know loads.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 95 of 247

I'm old enough to remember when people were horrified that they could no longer just pick their phone and a nice lady would say 'number please' and that they had to dial their own calls. Things move on, its called progress.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 247

Are you chronic sick/disabled?  When power cuts come, and the line is down, and as quite often, my mobile phone signal is no good.  I can see you are commenting on something you know nothing about.  It’s not progress, when it’s not reliable if and when power cuts come.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 97 of 247

But you're making the assumption that that state of affairs will continue and that mobile coverage will not improve along with improved power distribution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 98 of 247

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Well the plans are to switch off the copper network in 2025 and although I can't see it happening by then, it will happen at some point.

@licquorice A bit like the FDM to Digital offload, if that means anything to you, if not, just ignore what I said. That took many years longer that was planned.

Oh yes, certainly does, but it happened eventually.

I really missed it when it went, as it kept us very busy replacing OC170 Transistors that had developed an internal short from the collector to screen.

Anyway lets see what really happens to the copper junction cables, as that is the only bit that is going to get recovered by Openreach or by undesirables, you know who I mean.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 99 of 247

I never said it will not improve, but, as it stands it’s no good to me, or a lot of sick/disabled people that rely heavy on a phone line.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 100 of 247

@licquorice "I'm old enough to remember when people were horrified that they could no longer just pick their phone and a nice lady would say 'number please' and that they had to dial their own calls. Things move on, its called progress."

Back in the day a friend was going up to Skye to do some work. He phoned the ‘nice lady’ and asked to be put through to Mrs MacXxxxx. The ‘nice lady’ said “well I could but there’s no point, she’s over at Mrs MacXxxxxx’s at the moment. 

Now will we get that sort of service from DV. 😀

0 Ratings