Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 101 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Tezz 

Let me be clear I was not trying to "persuade" you to do anything.  I was highlighting why things are being trialled and why they will take time to be rolled out.

Openreach announced in June 2019 that by September 2023 they plan to stop offering PSTN products, and by December 2025 all PSTN products will be removed (and therefore switched over).

We are talking 3-5 years from now before anything is likely to happen. By which time all the issues/problems/faults can be ironed out and resolved.  Maybe a battery backup system will be offered to this who have chronic illness, or some other systems.  All we are doing is discussing future products. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 102 of 162

Your comments are fine.  It’s someone else’s that’s not.  You see, I have a life threatening illness plus a lot of others.  My father committed suicide last year, so I am bound to have concerns.  Thanks for your kind comments.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 103 of 162

@Tezz 

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. I am sure if/when services are changed there will be plenty of testing to ensure everyone will be able to use the new products/services whatever their circumstances.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 104 of 162

Just to recap on the issue I posted here https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/New-Digital-Voice-home-phone-service-on-BT/m-p/2001797#M68781

about the loss of a DC path back to a 50V supply. You can already see how many people who do not use a phone, have issues with disconnections and poor speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 105 of 162

With respect to the power cuts: have you thought about getting an uninterruptible power supply (UPS)? They won't power your whole house but they can be used to provide power to essential services, your router for example which could be an addition means of communication

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 106 of 162

@CJT80wrote:

@Tezz 

I'm really sorry to hear what happened. I am sure if/when services are changed there will be plenty of testing to ensure everyone will be able to use the new products/services whatever their circumstances.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 107 of 162

@Andy005wrote:

Hi @tarbat 

The new handsets work over wifi 

Whilst that's possible, it seems somewhat of a coincidence that the manuals for the two models of BT Digital Home Phone handset refer to the handsets radiating in the frequency range 1881.792–1897.344 MHz, the same frequency range used by DECT handsets:

Essential Digital Home Phone User guide 

Advanced Digital Home Phone User guide 

Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications 

I suspect that the BT handsets work similarly to this Gigaset DECT handset:

Gigaset E370HX - The telephone for any age for all routers which support DECT. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 108 of 162

They are DECT handsets, not WiFi. The base station is in the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 109 of 162

Does anybody know what the cost of this service will be? Will it follow the per minute charges of the old POTS service or move to a more mobile phone orientated model where the monthly charge includes a block of minutes to use? This would make the 'landline' more usable and on a par with the mobile services.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 110 of 162

If you go to bt.com/digitalvoice it explains the new service.

Near the bottom the answer to a question says it is the same price as 'old' landline.

If you go to bt.com/landline/deals  you can see the new prices for landline calls when you recontract.

Richard

0 Ratings