Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 131 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@tarbat wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

The Smart Hub 2 has a DECT base station built in, so for full functionality you would have to use the BT supplied phones, although other DECT handset may give limited features.

If you want to use your existing phone system, BT can supply some extra equipment which allows you to plug your phone system into the phone socket on the Smart Hub 2.

I guess my question was whether these "limited features" include the higher quality sound? So, if I were to plug my Panasonic DECT basestation into the ATA socket on the hub, will it get the higher quality sound, or does the hub somehow downgrade the sound quality before outputting it on the ATA socket?

You should get the same quality, provided that the extra items that BT supply, which I would guess provide the 50V supply and 80V ringing needed for other phones plugged into the phone socket, are good enough.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 132 of 162

You do not need any extra equipment to plug in a normal phone. I have a BT Decor 2600 plugged straight into my Smart Hub 2 and it works fine.

There is a slight pause when you answer it rather than the new BT Digital HD phone, but the sound is very good and everything else just works fine.

Richard

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 133 of 162

@barnpiece wrote:

You do not need any extra equipment to plug in a normal phone. I have a BT Decor 2600 plugged straight into my Smart Hub 2 and it works fine.

Richard

See https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice-learnpage

Capture.JPG

So what do BT mean?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 134 of 162

@barnpiece 

Do you still have a dial tone when you connect to the master socket phone socket? If yes then you are not on DV. When your line is moved to DV then there is no longer dial tone at phone socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 135 of 162

@barnpiece 

I would suspect that if you do not actually have DV, then the socket on the SH2, would be connected directly to the normal incoming line via the DSL socket, where it would function like a normal phone socket.

For FTTP users, where there is no physical copper connection, then any phone plugged into the socket would need additional equipment to provide the correct line conditions.

That would explain why BT say you would need extra equipment, as mentioned on the screenshot I posted.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 136 of 162

I do have Digital Voice (the socket on SM2 does nothing if you have not had DV enabled).

I have two new HD Digital phones provided by BT when DV enabled which have the extra DV functions.

My wall sockets are now redundant and there is no dial tone if you plug into them.

Richard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 137 of 162

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

So what do BT mean?

My guess is it’s the equipment needed to do voice reinjection. The quote on the website says “existing home phones”, so plural phones. To connect more than one phone using the existing telephone extensions requires the VRI isolation faceplate to be fitted on the master socket, and an appropriate connecting lead from the hub’s ATA back to the master socket, and possibly a double adaptor type phone socket if there’s already a phone plugged into the master socket.

You only have to read the Sky Talk forum to see the confusion over how to connect existing phones, with people already experimenting with connecting a lead from the Sky hub’s ATA back to the master socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 138 of 162

https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice-learnpage/?s_cid=con_FURL_digital-voice

Keith thanks for the link, but the links within the page don't take you to the correct pages. I've been trying to find a comparison of the Advanced & Essential Digital Home Phones. Could you or the mods please help?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 139 of 162

@David500    I found that out as soon as I tried to do some research on the things. Ending up on a general help page from a specifically directed link is ridiculous but very BT😞

It will have to be the Mods who need to get this sorted out but the website is very cumbersome and not always customer friendly.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 140 of 162

Hi @David500 

Are you looking for any specific features on the handsets?

0 Ratings