Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 241 of 253

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@FBK wrote:

Hi Keith,

Currently trying to upgrade to Fibre 2 with Complete WiFi so I can get  back to 15 McAfee licences, but there are problems on my account and the order is not being accepted.

I would try using the options team to process your upgrade you may even be able to negotiate a better deal 0800800030

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 242 of 253

@glennbentley wrote:

Anyways, my original question was has anyone on a standard landline been offered Digital Voice?

if by standard land line you mean without broadband then no as you need the SH2 which acts as dect base station and internet connection for VOIP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 243 of 253

@glennbentley wrote:
I think the BT marketing team would disagree with your 'no point in it' comment. The point is, amongst other things, it gives digital clarity calls along with other calling features.
Anyways, my original question was has anyone on a standard landline been offered Digital Voice?

Just like the old Broadband Talk service that was discontinued. That had 128kb voice quality, multiple calls, and all the full facilities.

Unfortunately, problems with reliability, with the servers going down, or the virtual path becoming stale, made it a real problem. Lets hope the DV service does not suffer the same problems.

Personally I prefer a proper copper path back to some real hardware at the end, while its all still available.

Contributor
Message 244 of 253

Fair point!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 245 of 253

@glennbentley wrote:
Fair point!

I had that Broadband Talk service, first with the BT Voyager 2500V, and then the home hub 1. That was a very long time ago now, as some of the longstanding forum members may recall. So DV is nothing new, its just sales talk.

From what I have now been told, the only people on FTTC DV, were those on the trial, and they have the option of reverting back to a conventional phone line, if they wish.

Unless BT bring out an ATA interface, people are going to be stuck with a Smart Hub2 if they want DV, as that has the interface inside.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 246 of 253

.... or provide the setting for a third party ATA like the Cisco unit I use.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 247 of 253

@Fumbledore wrote:
.... or provide the setting for a third party ATA like the Cisco unit I use.

Security is the problem, as it was possible to access the setting in the old home hub 1, to get the SIP parameters, and use that on third party apps like Sipdroid. This was of course open to fraud, and additional measures had to be implemented. But it was useful if you did not have a BT Badged HTC S20 with Broadband Talk built in.

That could handle both outgoing and incoming calls, and was ahead of its time. You needed good eyesight to navigate the menu.

Capture.JPG

I bet a few people here remember that one, and the HTC S710.

Capture.JPG

Those were one of the original "feature" mobile phones with Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 248 of 253

I have just discovered that the new BT voice handsets DO NOT work over WiFi. I have WiFi tuned off on my Smart Hub 2 ad the phone is still working. I think tee is a DECT station built into the Smart Hub 2. If I am right, this is a pretty shoddy solution.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 249 of 253

@ActiveConnexions wrote:

I have just discovered that the new BT voice handsets DO NOT work over WiFi. I have WiFi tuned off on my Smart Hub 2 ad the phone is still working. I think tee is a DECT station built into the Smart Hub 2. If I am right, this is a pretty shoddy solution.

That is correct, there is a DECT base station in the Smart Hub 2.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/learn-about-broadband/different-types-of-bt-hub

0 Ratings
Message 250 of 253

Thanks for the clarification, this was not what the help desk agent told me. My issue is that the house has a large network with wired access points. I was trying to get the new phone to join this network and of course it cannot. As a result, the BT voice system, in this form, is not suitable.
0 Ratings