Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Andy005 wrote:

My handsets connect via the WPS button @Keith_Beddoe which is why I assumed they used wifi.

It is somewhat confusing, as there may be two systems in use, or it could be that the WPS button serves a dual purpose, one of which is to pair the handsets as you would with DECT ones.

I assume the handsets do not display the name of the wireless network they are connected to?

The clue would be in the range of coverage. If a normal mobile handset loses its wireless connection at a distance, do the BT handsets still work?

If they do, then that would be an indication that they are using  DECT frequencies, which I would have expected them to use. DECT makes very good use of the available bandwidth as it works in a similar way to mobile phones.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 32 of 162

I can't find anything which suggests what network they're connected to. What I have noticed is that at the furthest point in my house from the SH2, the DV handsets can start beeping because they are close to being out of range but they have never dropped a call. I don't ever remember having any range issues with my DECT phones, but then again I don't think they have an out of range alarm so I wouldn't have known anyway.

If DECT has a much better range then I would say the handsets I have are operating over wifi, the range seems comparable to the wifi signal on my phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 33 of 162

I'm no expert but once the service is switched on you just register the DV handsets to the Smart Hub 2 and everything works.  If you plug an ordinary phone into the Master Socket you do not get  dial tone, just the unobtainable (continuous) tone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 162

BT DECT handsets like the BT4600, will beep if they are out of range, but I never get that far away.

WiFi is a very inefficient medium for phone calls and has issues with QOS and interference, so I think you will find that DECT is being used, even though there may be no specific mention of it, so as not to confuse the average user.

DECT is capable of very high quality calls, as was the case with the old BT Hub phones.

Unfortunately, the facilities offered by DECT phones, can be very specific to the model, and other phones may not work with them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 162

@Andy005 

Check you handset menu settings and you will see mention of dect. If you go to hub manager then home then select your home number then you will again see reference to dect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Expert
Message 36 of 162

I have no idea myself @Keith_Beddoe as I'm only commenting as a 'layman'. I had Panasonic handsets before and as far as I know they didn't alert when going out of range

I bought the BT 4600 for my Mum, but as with most things these days the information that's supplied with them is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I didn't know it had an out of range indicator and I've been through the full (downloaded!) user guide a few times.

Back to DV, how it connects isn't really important to me, it does the job which is what really counts.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 37 of 162

There's no reference to DECT that I can see in hub manager @imjolly  but I didn't notice it (or rather remember) in the handset settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 162

@Andy005 wrote:

I bought the BT 4600 for my Mum, but as with most things these days the information that's supplied with them is about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I didn't know it had an out of range indicator and I've been through the full (downloaded!) user guide a few times.

I have never tried it, but I think there may be a message similar to the message you get if the base unit is turned off. I would have to walk down the road with the phone, to be sure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 162

@Andy005 wrote:

There's no reference to DECT that I can see in hub manager @imjolly  but I didn't notice it (or rather remember) in the handset settings.

just checked hub and can't find it now but is there on phones - menu/settings the scroll down and find dect settings

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 40 of 162

So does this service require a smart hub? Or can we use the phones with another WPS capable router? 

0 Ratings