Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 247

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Mark77 wrote:

So does this service require a smart hub? Or can we use the phones with another WPS capable router? 

It needs the Smart Hub 2, as its a DECT connection, not WiFi. The Smart Hub 2 has a DECT base station built in.

Unlike standard retail cordless phones which come paired with their own base unit, the BT phones have to be paired with the Smart Hub 2, as each system code is unique.

Everything is loaned to you by BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 247

Highlighted
Expert
Message 43 of 247

I don't like having the keyboard in my ear.  When phoning "Press 4 for this option" - how do you do that?  I like a screen that I can see while I'm on the call that tells me to whom I'm talking and for how long.  That's one reason why  I don't use a mobile for calls - just emails.  I suppose the market will suddenly fill with "DV compliant" devices - I hope it includes a desktop phone.  I've had a Blackberry and iPhone since 2002 - and have hardly ever made calls on them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 247

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

More info here https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice-learnpage/?s_cid=con_FURL_digital-voice

Interesting bit about using your existing telephone. What “extra equipment” is needed?

QUOTE: “If you choose to keep your existing home phones we’ll need to send you some extra equipment, to ensure they work with your Digital Voice service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 45 of 247

Excellent! so we might be able to use proper phones!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 46 of 247

Will it be possible to pair existing DECT phones with the new BT Digital Voice home phone? We have 4 existing DECT phones, I don’t really want to have to buy new ones, particularly if they can only ever be used with BT’s digital voice service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 47 of 247

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Mark77wrote:

So does this service require a smart hub? Or can we use the phones with another WPS capable router? 

It needs the Smart Hub 2, as its a DECT connection, not WiFi. The Smart Hub 2 has a DECT base station built in.

Unlike standard retail cordless phones which come paired with their own base unit, the BT phones have to be paired with the Smart Hub 2, as each system code is unique.

Everything is loaned to you by BT.

So anyone who wants to continue using a 3rd party router can't have Digital Voice at all - unless newer routers start to incorporate it but will that happen if it's for a single ISP?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 48 of 247

I use BT Premium Phones with Voice Control. Two essential features are Nuisance Call Blocker and the ability to synchronise Contacts with my iPhone and Windows PC, email addresses etc. so I have just one Directory used by everything. So far I haven’t spotted that these features are included in the Advanced Digital Home Phone? Are they built in?

I did spot that the existing phones should work by plugging in to the SH2. However it would be nice to go completely Digital Voice as long as it has Nuisance Call Blocker and shared Contacts built in. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 49 of 247

I am new to understanding this.  Does this mean, the telephones work off the internet?  And if so, what if there is a power cut in my house?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 50 of 247

1. Yep
2. You're stuffed unless you have a fully charged mobile or, like me, there's a phone box outside.
3. You can't revert to an ordinary POTS landline phone. You'll only get a dial tone from a DV handset. You'll not get a dial tone from any extension sockets.

0 Ratings