Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 61 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Mark77 wrote:

Agreed. 

Allow us to configure our own phones / apps etc using the BT SIP gateway, can only assume it's using radius to login?

Its funny you should say that, because Broadband Talk used SIP, and it did not take many of us very long to discover you could extract the login details, and input them into SIP apps on the early smartphones, and use them to make calls. Typically SipDroid etc.

Needless to say, this was eventually blocked by BT, and only the home hub 1 etc would authenticate, and also the BT Softphone (Windows) program.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 62 of 162

@SeanDwrote:

If you do choose to upgrade, you’ll need to swap your current home phone for our new digital home phone. We’ll give you a choice of handsets, free with your upgrade.

Hi Sean

Presumably the new phones will be supplied under the new hardware policy whereby it remains the property of BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 162

So I already have some (quite expensive) Seimens VoIP DECT phones for use with SIPgate. It seems protectionist for BT to say that you have to use their own handsets when this is undoubtedly all they are.

All the 'clear digital voice' is, is a G.711 or G.722 CODEC. Current VoIP DECT phones have these built in.

BT should seriously consider providing settings to allow customers to use their own handsets at their own risk, especially if the monthly cost of the service is including an element for rental of the BT handset equipment.

This would be the equivalent of a SIM Free option on a mobile network.

Incidentally if this service is going to replace the POTS service does this mean that we can have the broadband connection without any sort of phone service at all from BT? POTS was a basic function of a telephone line until now, and not needed by many people. If you are taking the equipment away then surely you cannot force people to buy an IP voice service?

PS: I see the FAQ says:

It is possible to use your existing home phones, but we recommend taking advantage of the free Digital Home Phone to get all the benefits of Digital Voice.

If you choose to keep your existing home phones we’ll need to send you some extra equipment, to ensure they work with your Digital Voice service.

Well actually there may be a few people who don't need the extra equipment to get 'all the benefits of Digital Voice' - all they actually will need are some settings to be sent to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 64 of 162

Thanks.  That’s useless to me, as I am chronic sick, and very reliant on the phone, also have Careline on the telephone line, so shall not be changing over when they offer.  Thanks again for the information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 65 of 162

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@Mark77wrote:

Agreed. 

Allow us to configure our own phones / apps etc using the BT SIP gateway, can only assume it's using radius to login?

Its funny you should say that, because Broadband Talk used SIP, and it did not take many of us very long to discover you could extract the login details, and input them into SIP apps on the early smartphones, and use them to make calls. Typically SipDroid etc.

Needless to say, this was eventually blocked by BT, and only the home hub 1 etc would authenticate, and also the BT Softphone (Windows) program.

Hopefully something similar can be done with this 🙂 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 66 of 162

Why does BT not use fibre optic cables for the line like Virgin?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 67 of 162

I read recently that BT were going to start doing just that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 162

@Tezz wrote:

Why does BT not use fibre optic cables for the line like Virgin?

This is really off topic, and should be discussed on a separate thread as its nothing to do with Digital Voice, however most of the Virgin  network is still cable inherited from the old cable companies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 69 of 162

I meant instead of Digital voice, as I don’t see digital voice as a way forward for me.  Being chronic sick, and having care call on my line, I need a line that works in a power cut, and longer than an hour.  One more point, I will not mention this again here, but Virgin’s is a clearer louder line than BT because of the fibre optic.  I am glad I will have a choice not to move over to internet calls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 70 of 162

@Tezz 

digital voice is crystal clear and good reception

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings