cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 71 of 247

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

Yes, but no good in a power cut, which is no good to chronic sick disabled people like myself.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 72 of 247

Have you thought about getting a mobile as backup? Take it wherever you go, keep it by your side, battery lasts days on standby etc etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 247

Mobile signals are not reliable, and second it won’t operate the care call on my line that I have.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 74 of 247

Obviously I can't speak for the mobile signals in your area but "M-Call - support, advice and reassurance via mobile phone"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 247

My mobile signals are not good, goes off.  My emergency call button equipment, attached to my line, that I press when I am ill, or if I fall etc, won’t work on a mobile.  It would work on the digital voice, but during power cuts would not, so digital voice is useless to me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 76 of 247

@Tezz wrote:

Yes, but no good in a power cut, which is no good to chronic sick disabled people like myself.

my comment was in direct reply to your comment about virgin call quality

I appreciate DV is no use if power cut but you must have some backup facility if your phone line has problems and there is no dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 77 of 247

@Tezzwrote:

My mobile signals are not good, goes off.  My emergency call button equipment, attached to my line, that I press when I am ill, or if I fall etc, won’t work on a mobile.  It would work on the digital voice, but during power cuts would not, so digital voice is useless to me.

Hi @Tezz   I would complain to Ofgem if you are getting power cuts that often. Personally I have lived in the same house for 32 years and I have maybe had two power cuts in that time. (Tempting fate, I will get a power cut tomorrow now 🙄)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 247

@VeteranISPUserwrote:
Hi @Tezz   I would complain to Ofgem if you are getting power cuts that often. Personally I have lived in the same house for 32 years and I have maybe had two power cuts in that time. (Tempting fate, I will get a power cut tomorrow now 🙄)

You're very lucky then. We've had dozens of power cuts over the years, typically caused by swan/geese strikes. Last year we even had to wait for a spare part for the sub-station to be delivered, and that was a 16 day outage where fortunately a trailered generator was brought in to run 24x7 to provide power to the village, much to the annoyance of those who's house they put the generator next to!!

32222248_10213333637429288_8046807033636192256_o.jpg

I do think BT / OFCOM / whoever really only think about cities and towns, and forget that we don't all have reliable power, mobile signal, etc. In a power cut, the landline phone and a radio are all we have!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 79 of 247

I am registered with BT as a priority customer, so if my landline goes down, they will fix quick.  I have mobile phone, it bad signal where I live in house, and as I said, my emergency service does not work on that.  I will keep to my line, rather than internet calls, as it’s very rare to get my line faulty, but more likely to get power cuts.  I only mentioned Virgin, as their quality of call is good, and will work with power cut.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 80 of 247

@gspearson wrote:

Will that be the phones connecting into our existing WiFi arrangements (disks etc) or will they have their own - different frequencies?

Hi @gspearson,

Thanks for the post and welcome back to the Community.  

IT has been mentioned by other members but I just wanted to confirm the answer to your questions, 

Digital Voice supplied phones utilise a wireless protocol called DECT, not Wi-Fi.  DECT is built into the Smart Hub 2 so the new phones supplied will connect directly to the hub.

Cheers

Sean