Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 81 of 162

Re: New Digital Voice home phone service on BT

@Mark77 wrote:

So does this service require a smart hub? Or can we use the phones with another WPS capable router? 

Hi @Mark77,

Great to see you back on the Community 😁.

To use BT Digital Voice you will require a Smart Hub 2, other WPS capable routers will not work.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 82 of 162

@tarbat wrote:

Will it be possible to pair existing DECT phones with the new BT Digital Voice home phone? We have 4 existing DECT phones, I don’t really want to have to buy new ones, particularly if they can only ever be used with BT’s digital voice service.

Hi @tarbat,

Thanks for the post, its a great question.

You won’t be able to pair your existing phones with the Smart Hub 2 but you can connect your existing DECT Phone base unit to the phone port on the hub which will allow you to use your existing DECT Handsets.

Cheers

Sean

Highlighted
Expert
Message 83 of 162

Hi @SeanD 

Thanks for the renewed welcome.  I've not been away, just watching the FTTH get closer and closer to my house and planning what I have to do to use it.  

Wireless, whether DAB, WiFi, DECT, mobile or just radio-controlled clocks is not reliable within an old, stone-built Scottish house built to resist all.  Even bringing in the fibre may be tricky as our pole is not easy to access and the walls are 50cm thick.  I had a set of DECT phones but gave them up.

So I'm not complaining, just considering what cabling I might need.  I can now see that I can continue to use wired phones - which are easier to use anyway.

Geoff

Edinburgh

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 84 of 162

I hear you @gspearson,

I am in a similar position, I live quite rural on a whopping 5MB connection so I too am keeping a keen eye out for any news for when FTTH may come my way.  I have super thick walls in my house too but I must admit I don't believe they are anywhere near the thickness of yours.

Do you live in a house or a bunker 😂😂

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 85 of 162

@Tezz 

@Tezzwrote:

My mobile signals are not good, goes off.  My emergency call button equipment, attached to my line, that I press when I am ill, or if I fall etc, won’t work on a mobile.  It would work on the digital voice, but during power cuts would not, so digital voice is useless to me.

This is the reason Digital Voice is being fully tested as it has been acknowledged call or care alarms would not work easily with Digital Voice.  Regarding power cuts or loss of landline service, in some cases with some systems it is possible to connect a "mobile" device to the call/care alarm which uses a multi-network sim to provide coverage when the line is not working.  Not sure if your call/care alarm provider provides this.  Just wanted to say.

Also during a Power cut, the local Distirbution Network Operator (who supplies the cables) should have a priorty service available.  I registered my parents with their local DNO as they have additional needs.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 86 of 162

Spoiler

@CJT80wrote:

@Tezz 

@Tezzwrote:

My mobile signals are not good, goes off.  My emergency call button equipment, attached to my line, that I press when I am ill, or if I fall etc, won’t work on a mobile.  It would work on the digital voice, but during power cuts would not, so digital voice is useless to me.

This is the reason Digital Voice is being fully tested as it has been acknowledged call or care alarms would not work easily with Digital Voice.  Regarding power cuts or loss of landline service, in some cases with some systems it is possible to connect a "mobile" device to the call/care alarm which uses a multi-network sim to provide coverage when the line is not working.  Not sure if your call/care alarm provider provides this.  Just wanted to say.

Also during a Power cut, the local Distirbution Network Operator (who supplies the cables) should have a priorty service available.  I registered my parents with their local DNO as they have additional needs.

Again I don’t trust a mobile network of a care call above the landline.  I am registered for priority repairs.  Power cuts when they come, can last quite a longtime.  I am happy with my landline, which very rare goes wrong, it’s always there in the emergency, so I won’t be switching.  Thanks.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 87 of 162

You seem to be under the impression that everyone is trying to persuade you to change your mind. Speaking for myself that is not the case, it makes no difference to me whether you switch or not, I don't work for BT and don't stand to gain anything whatever you do, it's just that it seems sensible that you should have a plan B in case plan A doesn't work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 88 of 162

Well the plans are to switch off the copper network in 2025 and although I can't see it happening by then, it will happen at some point.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 89 of 162

I have a plan if they try to force me off a line, but as it originally said, they are going to offer to switch, it’s not forced.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 162

@licquorice wrote:

Well the plans are to switch off the copper network in 2025 and although I can't see it happening by then, it will happen at some point.

@licquorice A bit like the FDM to Digital offload, if that means anything to you, if not, just ignore what I said. That took many years longer that was planned.