Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joolsberko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

New Member: Just got Home Hub 5 - now got no landline

Go to solution

Good evening - just after some advice please. I have BT Infinity Unlimited (or whatever it's called), and just taken delivery of Home Hub 5 to replace my old Home Hub 2. However, I have just found out that this new Hub is not compatible with the Home Hub 2 phones - so I now have no landline phone working!!!

I only have the one phone socket in my flat - so how do I get my landline working? Please don't tell me that I need BT to sort me out with a second phone socket and that I need to go and buy a new phone, etc!!!!

Thanks

Jools

0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 33

Re: New Member: Just got Home Hub 5 - now got no landline

Go to solution

This may help. http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/phones/hh3phoneinfinity.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Joolsberko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks - however looking at that diagram something is missing. Going from the back of the Hub 5 is the ADSL cable that goes into the microfilter, and the cable that links the WAN from the back of the Hub to the modem, meaning there is no spare adsl slot on the microfilter to go to the Hub 2. Or should there be no need for the ADSL from the Hub 5?????

Oh - and I see on the diagram it's got RJ11 lead - but looking online there are loads of different looking types - so any help identifying the correct one would be very useful. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 33

Go to solution
hi. not certain what you mean by home hub 2 phones
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Joolsberko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 33

Go to solution

Hi Devon Dave - sorry by Home Hub 2 phone, I'm referring to the digital phone supplied by BT when I originally got the Home Hub2 a couple of years ago, then upgraded to Infinity which was compatible with Home Hub 2 and the Home Hub 2 Phone. Hub 5 does not connect to Hub 1 and Hub 2 phones, which in effect means my landline for phone use is dead - which seems odd as you'd think there would be a way that the digital phone (and even my old style on the wall phone) should still get a landline.

Basically with the Home Hub 2 (which came with a Hubbed phone, and I had an existing wall phone) the Hubs "found each other", meaning landline calls come come in and be made going out. With the Home Hub 5, this isn't compatible with existing Home Hub Phones, but also, my wall phone now has now "tone" when I pick it up meaning I cannot make or receive calls on my landline.

The chap who first replied provided a diagram, I've tried that but still nothing. So in short I now have a defunct Home Hub 2 phone and a defunct wall phone, with no dial tone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

Go to solution

@Joolsberko wrote:

Thanks - however looking at that diagram something is missing. Going from the back of the Hub 5 is the ADSL cable that goes into the microfilter, and the cable that links the WAN from the back of the Hub to the modem, meaning there is no spare adsl slot on the microfilter to go to the Hub 2. Or should there be no need for the ADSL from the Hub 5?????

Oh - and I see on the diagram it's got RJ11 lead - but looking online there are loads of different looking types - so any help identifying the correct one would be very useful. Thanks.

I made up the diagram when Infinity was supplied with a modem, which was before the HH5 was supplied.

As that time, self install was not an option an a SSFP was fitted.

Here is the modified diagram using the HH5

Using your old BT Hub Phones with the HH5 - Infinity  self install

It just needs an additional microfilter to act as an adapter.

If you need any more help, then please let me know.

If you did have an additional Broadband Talk number, then that would have been ceased when you upgraded, but your hub phones will work on your landline number, by using the HH2 as a base station. Ignore any lights on the HH2.

0 Ratings
Joolsberko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks! Ok this has made my old Home Hub 2 and the old Hub Phone recognise each other - however I appear to have no line (dead dial tone) from the Hub Phone and absolutely no tone from the wall mounted standard phone (all set up as per your diagram). Any other suggestions? All help so far, very greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

Go to solution

When you plug a phone into the second filter phone outlet, do you get dial tone if you plug in a normal phone?

If not, then try the phone outlet of the first microfilter.

If you ge no dial tone there, then it looks like your phone line itself is not working. Unless you get dial tone on a normal phone, there is no point in trying the hub phones.

Its possible that the upgrade to Infinity has not been done properly, but its worth following the self-help on this page.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812/c/345,353

0 Ratings
Joolsberko
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks Keith - tried both suggestions - but no dial tone on standard phone, and dead (continuous monotone) dial tone on hub phone.

Infinty Modem was fitted a couple of years ago shortly after the Home Hub 2, reason for upgrading to Home Hub 5 was due to Wifi drop out (far too often), and I wonder whether BT during the call on Tuesday evening have put me on a different contract to start as of today and haven't "reactivated" my landline for calls (I moaned saying that £57 p/m for landline and infinity unlimited was more than when I first joined them - and got the bill down to £43 p/m starting from today).

What I don't want to end up doing is having a long-winded chat with India to get this sorted (no disrespect to India - but those guys are having to then try and put right a fault caused by a UK BT programme).

Just ran the line test - came back as no problem found.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 33

Go to solution

If you get no dial-tone at the test socket, that that indicates a fault in the network. You can get rid of the monotone on the home hub 2, by resetting it back to factory defaults. That should not affect the hub phone registration.

If you are sure that the wired phone itself is not faulty, then all you can do is to report a "no-dial tone" fault using the online fault reporting form.

Its possible that the connection between the normal cabinet, and the Infinity cabined is missing, or wired up wrong.

What happens if you call your home phone number from a mobile?

Is your master socket like this?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings