cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zurdo
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New Scam-Amazon Prime

After all the scam calls about cutting off connection etc. just had a new one.

Automated call saying my Amazon Prime account, which I don’t have, has been hacked!

Didn’t bother following through so no idea what it would lead to.

9 REPLIES 9
Longshanks0511
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Scam-Amazon Prime

There's another one which is a slight variation on this - again a pre-recorded message saying your Amazon Prime subscription is about to expire; renew by.....etc, etc. 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi @Longshanks0511 , @Zurdo ,

It does not look like either of you reported the number here :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901810

There are several messages on here from the mods requesting that you do so as it will help BT in adding to its block list

0 Ratings
Longshanks0511
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @Longshanks0511 , @Zurdo ,

It does not look like either of you reported the number here :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/td-p/1901810

There are several messages on here from the mods requesting that you do so as it will help BT in adding to its block list

In my case apparently a spoofed number - by all accounts on this forum reporting spoofed numbers is pointless as they are totally unattributable and untraceable. 

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

@Longshanks0511wrote:

There's another one which is a slight variation on this - again a pre-recorded message saying your Amazon Prime subscription is about to expire; renew by.....etc, etc. 

Just to add to that for those who may be concerned by such a call, both Amazon Prime and for that matter Netflix are rolling 30 day contracts so the chance that either company would say anything like this is nil.

0 Ratings
Longshanks0511
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

It seems (thankfully) to be an unsophisticated attempt. I do have Prime but the expiry date is way off and my subscription auto-renews unless I cancel it  A relative got the same call recently and has never had Prime.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

I just this minute received a call from a woman with an Indian accent claiming to be from Amazon Security Department before the call was terminated (no, not by me). The reported number (spoofed or not, I don't know) was 02274075249. I think it reasonable to assume that this was probably part of this scam.

How do I report this calling number to BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

@V_Meldrew wrote:

I just this minute received a call from a woman with an Indian accent claiming to be from Amazon Security Department before the call was terminated (no, not by me). The reported number (spoofed or not, I don't know) was 02274075249. I think it reasonable to assume that this was probably part of this scam.

Go to the BT help page and there’s a link - bottom right column:- “Report a scam call”.

Longshanks0511
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

@V_Meldrewwrote:

It's definitely not a genuine Amazon call - I just completed an online chat with Amazon concerning my previous experience and they looked at 02274075249 while they were searching - according to their sources a spoof number.

The recommendation to both of us (so far as Amazon is concerned) is to report the respective numbers to:

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

Zurdo
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Called again today from No. 0113 887 2280, presumably a spoofed number.

Reported this time.

0 Ratings