Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

New approach to Scam Calls?

Just had the usual type of scam call from BT (NOT!!!) but with a twist: Gupta accent, saying "It has been reported to us that your account has been hacked" etc etc.

I didn't have time to get details/block for the future because the way I reacted has just cost me a small fortune in the Swear Box that my better half set up especially for me. Smiley Embarassed

I've not heard this "hacking" reason before.

My main problem is that I've lost my ACME thunderer football referee's whistle and the recording I made. What I normally do is play the recording of a loud long blast & then ask them that in Hades they are doing. Probably not the best thing to do in the long run but it makes me feel better. (I used to answer spleaking like a chinese man but I gather that's racist nowadays!

I've logged the call on the excellent database provided here nowadays

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: New approach to Scam Calls?

Good idea to log the call. However, I have not seen any information from BT as to what they are going to do with these numbers. The big problem I can see is that they can't simply block them before they start to ring on the network because many times they are real numbers of people and businesses, so they will have to check every number logged to see if it has a legitimate person on the other end before adding it to the general database of scam numbers.

The calls are nearly all made using a computer from abroad using the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system. The software they use allows them to place whatever number they like as the originating number, which is what you will see on your Caller Display. Of course, they are all faked (spoofed).

I see no real way the telecoms industry can now stop this scurge, which unfortunately catches the unwary and scams away a lot of money overseas with no chance of getting it back.

All we can do as end customers is to either buy a call blocking phone or use the Do Not Disturb _VIP List part of the BT Call Protect system, for a cost of £3.50 per month.

Rob.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 5

@RobFletcherwrote:

Good idea to log the call. However, I have not seen any information from BT as to what they are going to do with these numbers. The big problem I can see is that they can't simply block them before they start to ring on the network because many times they are real numbers of people and businesses, so they will have to check every number logged to see if it has a legitimate person on the other end before adding it to the general database of scam numbers.

The calls are nearly all made using a computer from abroad using the Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) system. The software they use allows them to place whatever number they like as the originating number, which is what you will see on your Caller Display. Of course, they are all faked (spoofed).

I see no real way the telecoms industry can now stop this scurge, which unfortunately catches the unwary and scams away a lot of money overseas with no chance of getting it back.

All we can do as end customers is to either buy a call blocking phone or use the Do Not Disturb _VIP List part of the BT Call Protect system, for a cost of £3.50 per month.

Rob.

Hello Rob. I didn't have time to use the call-blocker. I see no point in paying £3.50 pcm for Call Protect so can't use that!

Regarding your general comments about how useful the Scam Log is, I'll have to leave the Moderators to reply. My problem is I can't find who wrote that article so would @SeanD please ask the author to comment? (Would one of the senior experts here please contact the Moderators for me? Thanks.)

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 4 of 5

Just had another but it was different - female, perfect  english, said my "BT package was about to be ended. Please ring 01794 907521". Quite convincing, actually. Blocked for the future.

So now I'll have to look for the formal log of numbers etc!

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 5

found the log - logged.
0 Ratings