Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

New build, new connection, no engineer, no connection

Hello,

Moved into our new home recently and scheduled a phone + broadband connection.

Connection date has been and gone, with no contact from BT other than auto texts, no sign of an OpenReach engineer and a day wasted hanging around the house.

Online order tracker reports it is 'in hand' - can anyone here help with discovering what the problem is?

Thanks in advance, floridaholden
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: New build, new connection, no engineer, no connection

Has the developers of your new build installed the ductwork and cabling
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Yes.

Everything has been installed and the site manager explains that the property is ready for connection, just like all the neighbouring properties with phone lines and broadband.

An engineer has not even entered my property to inspect it - the previous appointment on 18 August was a no-show without explanation.

I've now been contacted twice with a courtesy call from BT customer services. They are unable to explain why the work has not been completed, or what work is pending.

I now have another engineer visit booked for 4 Sept, but again, customer services cannot determine what work, if any, needs to be completed for activation to happen. They have simply scehduled another courtesy call.

I need information - if I take ANOTHER day off work, is an engineer actually going to try and connect my property or will I be left twiddling my thumbs?

0 Ratings
cber07
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Currently going through the same nightmare with BT.   Order was placed in July, and the first engineer visit start of August was cancelled a day before.    Rescheduled for mid-August.  That one was cancelled the evening before.  

I am now told it will be October !!!  before an update.  Not even a connection.

My neighbours are connected who moved in months / weeks before but getting zero information out of BT now.   They just say its a delay with the contractors  (Openreach etc).  Useless.

Lost 2 annual leave days.

0 Ratings
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Ah, the irony - a telecommunications giant with mind-bendingly awful customer communications.

Any BT experts or mods want to chip in?

0 Ratings
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Does anyone have a number or any way of discovering what work OpenReach have done / need to do in order to be connected?

Once again, we ordered a BT phone line and broadband activation in July with an activation scheduled on 18th August. No engineer came and not a single BT rep can tell me what the problem is.

Our neighbours revealed that like us, they have sat in waiting for engineers that never came and we are now wasting time trying to find out how to get connected.

I've been bounced around customer service teams and can't get a straight answer as to what is wrong. We and our next door neighbours are totally stuck, especially since we haven't even seen an engineer outside yet - anyone? Please?

I may as well cancel this order - I'd rather pay another provider if they can at least tell me why I can't get connected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

changing provider will not help as they all use Openreach to do the installation work and all providers get the same information also it will put you at the bottom of the queue again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

I don't expect to get connected any quicker.

It is BT's abject failure to communicate with me and my neighbours about what OpenReach are doing that is so frustrating.

I'd rather give my money to a company that invests in decent customer service to keep me informed when things aren't working.

BT have been awful so far. Even if it means I have to wait longer for a connection at the start, right now it would be worth it to keep my cash out of BT's pocket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

that is the point i am making no provider gets any better information from Openreach new build unfortunately can have a considerable number of infrastructure issues that delay installs
0 Ratings
floridaholden
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

And this is the point I'm making: BT customer service can't even tell us what they don't know.

I can no longer track my order online, customer service reps can't seem view information about the order other than it exists, and we have been repeatedly transferred to phone queues with no pickup.

Ordering online was quick though. BT are excellent at taking payment details.
0 Ratings