cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhoebeShen
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

New build nightmare - 3 months waiting already and 2 more?

Go to solution
We bought this new built house in London and moved in last Octorber (yes, 3+ months ago). The developer is a mid/small sized one and told us infrastructure for landline etc are all in place when we move in. However, when I move phone line from previous home to this new one, BT said it’s new built and would take some time.

First, they told us to wait 2 months till early January this year for the cabling work to be complete. When I called them in 2nd week of January to ask progress (as no one seems to have done any work on our road!), they told me a major blockage has been resolved, just a bit left. They even booked me engineer visit last Friday 25th Jan. on seeing the email, I rang back to confirm, one lady told me to ignore the email as still 14 hours work to be done. 2nd person told me it seems engineer visit is genuine, so wait at home. 3rd person who picked up the phone on the friday morning (as I’m still not sure whether I should really take day off) told me there is absolutely no visit! There is still loads work to be done, next update in 4 weeks’ time, 18th Feb. Guess what, this morning, I received a call from my ‘case handler’ informing me the estimated time for connecting my landline is pushed further to 7th March, almost 6 months since I logged my order!!! She said BT doesn’t have control over Openreach contractors, she is just passing the messages.

Even after I mentioned to her (as I have done to many many other BT customer service people) that we have elderly parents who rely on Landline and not used to mobile phone. Without landline for 3 months already put a lot of stress on the family. Still, BT said they can’t in any way influence Openreach’s time schedule.

What on earth is going on?! It’s a residential block and some of my neighbours (moved in slightly earlier than me) have already got their connection. Developer says their job is done. Yet Open reach needs 6 months’ time to connect a landline? I feel beyond angry and frustration now.

Help pls!!!
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New build nightmare - 3 months waiting already and 2 more?

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Delays on new build are very common.

I will see if one of the moderators can look at the order. It will take them a few days, but they might be able to get more info, provided you have an open order with BT Retail.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
PhoebeShen
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you.
I feel really helpless after speaking to my ‘case handler’ who basically told me nothing can be done except wait. 😪
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@PhoebeShen wrote:
Thank you.
I feel really helpless after speaking to my ‘case handler’ who basically told me nothing can be done except wait. 😪

There is no guarantee that one of the moderators can help, however they will take personal ownership of the issue, and try to keep you updated.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @PhoebeShen welcome to the forum and sorry you have been waiting so long for a connection to your new property.

As @Keith_Beddoe has mentioned delays on new builds can be common particularly when the network has to be provided to the property. I can't guarantee we can do anything to speed things up but we will be happy to check and update you on what is happening with your order.

I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team. check here
https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”