Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulowellock
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

New customer - caller display not working

Hello,

I've recently moved my phone & BB from Sky.  I was advised that Caller Display was included free for the first 12m but, alas, it not working since the changeover.

If I go into My BT the option to add it is there for £0/m, but it says that this will cause a new 12m contract to start -which i don't want.

How do i get the service added without renewing the contract?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 12

Re: New customer - caller display not working

Can you dial *#234# from your home number and check what announcement you get?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

@paulowellock wrote:

How do i get the service added without renewing the contract?

With great difficulty.  The free "BT Privacy" option is available only with a new 12 month contract and only if you ask for it.  BT don't automatically include it with a new phone contract.  It's a sneaky trick, and typical of BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oliver341
Expert
Message 4 of 12

But of course you are generally in a 12 or 18 month contract anyway when you sign up, so you really only extend it by a few days by getting free caller display.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

If you're on an 18 month broadband contract, then there's little to lose by extending the 12 month phone contract by a few days.

Even if the broadband is only 12 months, then you're still likely to be better off extending the phone contract a little bit when compared with paying for caller display - which is the alternative if you need it.

In the longer term, it can be helpful to arrange that the broadband and phone contracts expire at the same time, even if that means paying full price for one or other for a short period.  That gives you the most opportunity for haggling.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
paulowellock
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

thanks for the replies everyone.

got to say it's pretty shocking that in 2015 BT charge for this. Sky don't and if a mobile phone network started to charge for telling you who's calling they'd be slaughtered for it...

it's crazy to charge xtra. i was genuinely shocked when i found out BT do it. how can it be justified?

anyway... final question: if i add Caller Display through My BT and 'renew' my 12m contract it won't affect my current pricing will it? I took out phone + bb together with discounts etc included which are no longer available so don't want to mess it up.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

How can it be justified?

It's very easy to justify from BT's point-of-view.  Either you pay every month for caller display, which increases their profit, or you lock in to a 12 month contract, which guarantees them an income for the next year.

From the customer's point of view, the charge is ridiculous.  It is a function that is built in to the exchange, and essentially costs nothing to switch on.  They could just enable caller display on every line if they wanted to.

Edit: this change is quite recent.  They used to offer the BT Privacy for free with no strings attached.  It's just part of BT's plan to lock-in customers to long contracts.  They have learned from the mobile phone companies.

0 Ratings
paulowellock
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

thanks.  does anyone know the answer to my final question:

if i add Caller Display through My BT and 'renew' my 12m contract it won't affect my current pricing will it? I took out phone + bb together with discounts etc included which are no longer available so don't want to mess it up.

thanks in advance 🙂

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 9 of 12

@paulowellock wrote:

if i add Caller Display through My BT and 'renew' my 12m contract it won't affect my current pricing will it? I took out phone + bb together with discounts etc included which are no longer available so don't want to mess it up.

No it won't alter your phone or broadband contract specifications or pricing, other than the phone contract length if it is due to terminate in under 12 months.

Oliver.
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

@Oliver341 wrote:

@paulowellock wrote:

No it won't alter your phone or broadband contract specifications or pricing, other than the phone contract length if it is due to terminate in under 12 months.

But be aware that if you were given any special offer that runs for 12 months, then it will still run for only 12 months even if you extend the contract.