cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dragon1117
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

New flat. Phone line never used before.

Hello. I recently moved to a new build flat. I'm the first person to ever lived in that flat. I want to get BT broadband and phone. There is a phone line socket in the flat, but it's never been used before. How would the BT installation look like? Is there anything i have to do before?

Regards and thanks.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New flat. Phone line never used before.

Welcome to this user forum.

It probably looks like this.

nte.jpg

There is nothing you need to do. Once the order has been placed, BT Retail will arrange for Openreach to provide the connection from the exchange, to that socket.

Provided all of the external network has been completed by Openreach, then it should be possible for that to happen in a reasonable time.

The problem is with new builds, is that quite often the external network is not complete due to blocked cable ducts. This can take a long time to sort out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dragon1117
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the reply.

I know someone in my building has BT service. Plus there is a telephone line pole right outside my building if that helps in any way.

I made an order with BT already on the 23rd of December. I have an engineer visit on the 18th of January to connect my phone. If there was a blocked cable duct, would they let me know before that or does the engineer have to come first?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

It does not sound like you have a problem, so I would wait and see what happens on the 18th Jan.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

They wouldn't know about a blocked duct until someone tried to shove a cable through it.

Most installs go OK with no problems.  The only ones you get to hear about on this forum are the ones that went horribly wrong.

0 Ratings