cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lindsay489
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

New line connection survey

I need a new line to an outbuilding in a rural area. Farmhouse has an underground phone line and I can’t believe the £70 or so connection charge will cover cost of excavation etc. Sure it must be surveyed to calculate cost but can’t find anyone in BT that can help!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: New line connection survey

It seems to be the case that they raise an order using the main property address ( it's debatable that they realise, as you do , that the order will fail when the engineer turns up and finds the building cannot be served without some 'work' ) ..if you are lucky the engineer will arrange for a survey officer/planner to get involved, then depending on what is agreed ( like if you agree to dig in a cable yourself of want OR or their contractor to do it ) the construction costs are submitted for you to either accept or refuse , I believe they now require a deposit before a survey , something that in the past , wasn't needed.

As its not a residential dwelling ( as registered with the Post Office) there is no universal service obligation (USO) so the total cost of provision is quoted , the first £3000 isn't covered as it would be if it was a USO property

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: New line connection survey

BT Retail would not be able to help, as its Openreach that would do the work. £70 sounds rather cheap.

0 Ratings