cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

New line install and not updated on checker yet.

If this is in the wrong place mods feel free to move it.

Got my phone line installed a few days ago in the hope I would be able to place an order for broadband ASAP as I have been without fixed line for over 5 weeks now. As yet no dice on the adsl checker it keeps saying to give it 24 hours which I have and if the problem persists to follow the link which I do and its broken.

Where do I go from here as I need to get the ball rolling for my order.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New line install and not updated on checker yet.

just a quick question who are you paying line rental to as the checker does not work with some providers like talk talk and sky
0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Line rental is direct save telecom but the line is BT as I requested it to be. I have called them to confirm this and they have told me that it is defo BT
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

What they mean is that its provided by Openreach, not BT.

BT are only the service provider if you pay your line rental to them. That is why your number does not appear on BT Retail database.

Openreach supply lines to many different service providers.

0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

I thought openreach were the service side of bt and the owners of the equipment at the exchange were bt?.

Anyway the line was connected by BT openreach when I asked the tech when I would be able to order broadband he said wait around 24 hours and then check the adsl checker. I did this and no joy of yet.

One other LLU phone and broadband company are active at the exchange but they still use BT equipment. I am sure you could hazard a guess at who it is. But I am diffidently not with them as I specifically requested to be through BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

No Openreach are a totally separate company within the BT group.

See

Who are Openreach?

I am not sure who you are going to order broadband from, but you have to have a BT line to order BT Broadband.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9395/~/do-i-need-to-have-a-bt-line-to-get-broadband-f...

I expect that your current service provider can also provide broadband, so you may have to ask them about it, otherwise you would have to transfer your line to BT.

0 Ratings
deepdishdj
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

From the openreach website.

Our primary customers are communications providers. We maintain the network of wires and cables through which they supply telephone, internet and TV services to homes and businesses like yours.

As such, we don't sell telephone or broadband services ourselves - you buy them direct from your communications provider (DST). But you may see Openreach engineers installing or repairing lines in your home or business on their behalf.

My coms provider resell bt lines which I have. Its not an LLU line from one of the other big coms providers I get how it works.

In my old house I had an LLU broadband provider that needed a BT line. When the contract ended with bt for the line I took it from the broadband supplier and not BT.

BASICLandline

• Rental of the copper wire from your local exchange to your home.
  • Instead of paying BT you pay BE a little less.

When I put my old number into various different isp checkers that require you to have a bt line they all recognised it even after I had changed to BE.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I think you will need somone else to explain it to you as well. Perhaps someone else will contribute to this thread?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 9 of 9

Hi deepdishdj,

If the communication provider that you use, for example BE, do not have their own equipment at the exchange then they will use the BT Wholesale network. Many other communication providers that don't have their own equipment in the exchange will also use the BT Wholesale network.

About BT Wholesale 
BT Wholesale provides a broad range of voice, broadband and data communications services for fixed and mobile network operators (MNOs), Internet service providers (ISPs) and telecoms resellers in the UK and also provides services to other BT lines of business.

Openreach is the company who maintain, fix and install the landlines and maintain the exchanges for all communication providers.  They are part of the BTplc Group but run as a separate company under the BT domain. This was done by Ofcom to prevent BT Retail (this communication provider) from getting priority other others and to make sure Openreach treat all ISPs and Communication Providers equally.

What does Openreach do? 
Openreach works on behalf of all UK communications providers to install, repair and maintain the local access network. Openreach is also committed to delivering a broadband-capable network that aims to meet future bandwidth demands.

Is Openreach the same as BT? 
Openreach is part of BT Group but it operates as a separate line of business – serving the needs of all communications providers in a fair and even handed way.

This forum ( http://community.bt.com ) is operated by BT Retail. 

BT Retail is a communication provider/ISP like many others in the UK. They have to go through the same process as other communication provider/ISP have to do to contact BT Wholesale and Openreach.

Who is BT Retail?
BT Retail is a communication provider/ISP that sells consumer services such as PSTN (Phone), BT Total Broadband, BT Vision and other BT Retail products/services.
BT Retail itself buys many of these services from BT Wholesale, BT Global Services and Openreach.

So In conclusion..

You will need to contact you communication provider/ISP to get this sorted as your not a customer of BT Retail then unfortunately BT Retail will be unable to help you.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.