Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigma
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

New phone line unable to recieve calls

Go to solution

Hi,

I had a new phone line installed on Wednesday witha number ported over from a VOIP provider. However, I am unable to recieve incomming calls. I talked to BT yesturday who said the "loosing provider still has to release the number"  and then got a call back saying it had all been released and ported over. However, when i dial my number from a mobile the call terminites immidiatly. 

I've reported a fault, but the guy on the phone is saying the line is fine and walked me through the usual checking the test port on the master socket etc.. Next step he is suggesting is to send out an enginer. However, I'm 99.9% sure the issue is entirly down to the number porting. i spoke to my voip provider who said BT simply need to put a standard port request through and they will release the number and my Voip account is now also shoing as having no number.

Anyone else been here before ?

Thanks

Anand

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: New phone line unable to recieve calls

Go to solution

I cannot see how its possible to port a VOIP number onto a physical phone line, as the number would not exist within the number range of the local exchange.

If you had a BT Business service, then it may be possible to port it to a BT Business VOIP number.

I very much doubt you will suceed with this.

0 Ratings
nigma
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

The number is a standard geographical number for the area I live in. The VoIP provider have said there should be no issues with this and "BT should raise a standard port request". BT have also not flagged an issue - I assume they would have said no from day one if it wasn't going to be allowed.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Each BT exchange has its own number range that can be physically connected to customers on that exchange. People can keep their phone number only if they move within that exchange area.

If your VOIP number does not fall within the number range served by your exchange, then it will not be possible to port it over.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

Once you get a reply, make sure that you are logged into the forum, then click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they cannot deal with service issues that way.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail, when its your turn in the queue.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

This is the form you should see when you click on the link. If you do not see this form, then you have selected the wrong link.
When you submit the form, you will receive an enquiry number, so please keep a note of it

Image2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi nigma,

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll be happy to look into this further. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
nigma
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for your assistance. 

Wouldn't customers moving from Virgin Media (Cable) face the same issue in that case ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@nigma wrote:

Thanks for your assistance. 

Wouldn't customers moving from Virgin Media (Cable) face the same issue in that case ?

Thanks

Perhaps they do. See https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Delay-getting-old-number-transferred/m-p/1479572#M42751

0 Ratings
hellebore
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Perhaps someone would consider answering that question too, then.

Hellebore

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
If the VoIP number had the same STD code then a port should be possible , but as with all these things , BT are obliged to provide the ability to port to other providers, and do so, moving the other way though seems to cause problems and of course , regardless of where the blame lies, you know who gets the blame, dial 17070 on your landline , if it reads out the number you are expecting( the ported one) but you still have no incoming calls when you dial from your mobile the problem is with the VOIP provider, if the number given by 17070 is not the one you expect, it may still be the VOIP provider but BT as well
0 Ratings
Highlighted
nigma
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

So the engineer came out and as I suspected there was no fault on the line and defininley no fault with the internal wiring in my home as the customer services rep and number of text messages kept telling me otherwise.

Issue was down to the fact the number had not been completed ported over and now it has and working as it should.

So for any future doubt, VoIP numbers can be ported over (of course provided you are within the same geographical code) - no restrictions in number ranges by cabinet. 

Thanks

0 Ratings