cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simo2013
Message 1 of 15

New phone line

Hello and help

I have had two visits from engineers who have now informed me I will need to have an underground line installed to my property.

I live in the centre of a village with two poles directly outside my house with lines running to other properties. I also have a working red phone box IMMEDIATELY outside.

I have been told that my house is too low to run a line from these poles and when I asked if the line could be run from the phone box junction I was told this could not be done.

I am now utterly stressed about this as I am fully expecting to be stung for thousands of pounds (when I rang to ask for a confirmation email that there would be no extra cost I got sent a stock reply with the wrong name on it saying there were no lines available - nothing about cost!!!) and I am expecting to wait months for my phone line. I have work that needs completing and have little to no mobile signal in the area so find myself without any form of modern communication!!!

How can this be real in 2013?

Can anyone offer me a solution?

What alternative phone/email providers are there out there?

I have been a BT customer for 25 years!

(I am seriously considering phoning the local newspaper about this one. It is a classic photo opportunity for them with the red phone box outside.)

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: New phone line

@simo2013 wrote:

Can anyone offer me a solution?

What alternative phone/email providers are there out there?

I am afraid that the rules regarding low overhead wires are very strict nowdays and unless openreach can get the required height above the road they will not put a cable up.

Regarding other providers I am afraid that unless you go with a cable company (which I suspect is not available in a small village) all external cabling is done by Openreach.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
simo2013
Message 3 of 15

I still have concerns about the cost... and why can they not take a line from the phone box?

Are you a BT engineer, Dave?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Sorry, forgot to welcome you.

No not a BT Engineer.

There could also be issues with the other pole you mention, it may be a pole belonging to an electric company and not BT. (a photo perhaps?)

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
simo2013
Message 5 of 15

But why the issue with the phone box? If there's a line there why can't I have one?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 15

Hi simo2013,

This is a BT Retail customer to customer help forum. Your posts do not go directly to BT Retail. This forum is moderated by the BT Care Team, though not all posts are read.

Devon_Dave is just a forum member like you.

As Devon_Dave has said, Openreach own and install the phone lines from the local exchange to your property for all communication providers in the majority of the UK.

Even though Openreach are part of the BTplc Group, they have to treat all Communication Providers/ISPs equally so BT Retail do not get get any priority or special treatment over other Communication Providers/ISPs.

As to the cost it depends on what work is required. However a surveyor from Openreach may have visited and may have quoted a price based on the time the installation will take and the materials/work required. 

Presumably they can't just install a new line off the public phone box as the phone box has it's own phone line so they can't just add your line to it.

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
simo2013
Message 7 of 15

Hi Jac

Thanks for the heads-up. I know about how Openreach work and are contracted but as a retail customer that should not be an issue.

I just want a working phone/broadband connection to my house as quickly and simply as possible.

Am I the only one who thinks this whole thing sounds ridiculous considering everyone around me on the street has a phone but I can't get one without major work?

Any suggestions for other providers? Is satellite broadband an option?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

As already said, any wire put up from either pole outside your property has to be a minimum height above the road/path, if this cannot be done, then an underground feed is the only option...if your property hasn't already got service then it should fall under the universal obligation and BT will foot the bill for the first £3000 of costs, but if the scheme to give service to your property were say for arguments sake £4000, you would have to pay £1000 plus whatever your provider was charging you .
Satellite broadband generally still needs a phone line for the upload path, you can get it without a phone line but the cost goes from very expensive to very, very expensive
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

You might be able to get hold of a sturdy bracket to raise the hight of the cable on your side and convince an engineer that its sound and to attach the cable to that.

0 Ratings
simo2013
Message 10 of 15

A sturdy bracket. I like that suggestion but not sure it will add to the appeal of my house.

I'm still waiting. It has been two weeks now and no action whatsoever except a few placatory phone calls from the call centre to tell me when they will next be calling.

0 Ratings