Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tum_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Newly rented flat (for student), BT phone line availability query

Hi All,

My son is getting his keys from a newly rented flat tomorrow. I have not been there myself yet.

I'm looking for various options for Broadband (I want the cheapest, while he wants the best, as usual), one of the options being considered is BT Student Superfast Fibre 2 for 9 months.

However, I have a bit of a worry - the guy who showed the flat mentioned that the flat had Virgin Media fibre. And I've heard stories that in this case there might be no BT Openreach line in the property (as Virgin use their own cables).

The BT Post Code check reassures me with: "You could be doing more online with Superfast Fibre 2, and you can get BT TV. See below for your personal speed range.", where basically all Superfast options are listed as available. But, again, I've read stories (including here) where their post code check gives wrong info.

What would be the best way for me to check if there is a BT phone line in that flat?

Any alternative 'check service' I could use online to check the phone line availability in the premises?

What kind of a socket/sockets shall I expect to see in the property (if I get there tomorrow)?

[I mean, if there is too much hassle with having BT internet up and running (engineer's visit scheduled to weeks ahead and all that) I'd rather just stay on Virgin broadband...]

Thank you,

tum_

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Newly rented flat (for student), BT phone line availability query

Connection should be similar to your own

Try address as better than postcode but not as good as phone number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

@tum_ 

There would not be a complete connection installed, even if there is a socket. You would have to pay for a phone line and broadband package.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tum_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Yes, sure, I don't expect it for free.

I just need a way to understand if the BT line is not there, physically.

As this would automatically mean some long process involved in setting up BT Broadband and I just don't want to go there.

My son told me (as he was on the viewing without me) that "the internet socket is on the wall in the lounge" but he didn't even take a photo. So, I'm thinking, if it is the only socket there and it's a Virgin socket - there may be no phone line at all.

Actually, I did check by the address not just the post code, it says 'all OK'.

0 Ratings
tum_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Actually, I did check by the address not just the post code, it says 'all OK'. Obviously, I don't have any phone number for that flat as it was occupied by God knows whom (students come and go through these flats all the time, I don't think any of them use landline phones these days).
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

The checker only checks that it is possible to serve that address, it doesn't check if a line exists. The only way to check is to physically look or attempt to place an order.

tum_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Yeah, that was my thought exactly, thanks for confirming. I'll be there tomorrow and hopefully figure something out.
0 Ratings