cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MCTachyon
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

No BT master socket in house (not new build)

There is no BT master socket in a rental house I have just moved in to (got removed during building work it seems). 

I have this week signed up to BT phone/broadband and due to receive a hub next week before getting connected in 2 weeks. 

What is the best way to get a line and master socket in to the house? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: No BT master socket in house (not new build)

That should be done as part of the install. It may be worth mentioning to BT, that there is no master socket.

MCTachyon
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Is there an extra change involved? Do I have to inform BT before hand of the extra work?

Was told I wouldn't need to be in as it was originally thought to just be a case of switching on the connection. 

Now looks like they'll have to enter the property with parts. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you have paid the normal installation charge of £130, that should cover any work needed to provide service, unless there is a lot of additional work to be done.

The fact that you do not need to be in, means that Openreach would have assumed, based on the last records of installation, that a line exists. They would be unaware that it had been removed, so a visit will be needed.

Normally a provisional appointment is made on their system just in case there is a problem, so you should be able to get an installation visit quite quickly.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Is there still a phone line attached to your home and just no master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

You may well find that on the day of your appointment nothing appears to be happening, because the address was recorded as ‘served’ , the assumption ( as already stated ) is that the line can be brought back into service without a visit to the property , this obviously cannot happen.
Either automatically ( because the line should be tested after it’s ‘started’ and the tester picks up no socket on the line ) or by you calling to say ‘my service date has passed but I have no service’ an engineer should be sent to resolve the issue....

If you are lucky they will simply replace what has been removed, if unlucky they may say you were not entitled to a ‘start’ order but should have had a ‘new line’ order and OR bill the provider the correct amount and the provider charges you ‘extra’.
A potential bigger problem is what was removed , if the property was fed underground and they have cut the cable in such away that it is no longer usable , then it may be difficult ( and expensive) to replace, if the property is served overhead , hopefully there won’t be a barrier to reinstalling a dropwire, if a new one is required.
If I were to hazard a guess , I would say no extra charges but potentially a longer wait to be connected

Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Because of Covid-19 Openreach have a new Installation Method called, NLP, New Line Provide.

Basically if there was an existing line there before then they assume there still is and they don’t make appointments to do Customer Installation.

0 Ratings