Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

No Dial Tone - Broadband Still Works.

Go to solution

Hello,

Last night when I got home I went to make a phone call and found that their was no dial tone on my landline (cordless) the router was also flashing which would indicate it was trying to connect, this happened from around 6pm till 9pm, at 9pm the broadband starting working again and has been doing so since however their is still no dial tone on my phone. Here is what i have tried;

Line Test Using BT Fault System - This indicated a internal problem which i am unsure about.

I disconnected the phone took it directly to the master socket and the same issue was apparent.

I try to call the number from my mobile and it goes directly to 1571 answering service.

I dont really want a BTOR engineer to come out to the property if i am going to incur a £129 fee as that really is not something i can't afford right now.

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Rich

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Peggypureycust
Contributor
Message 2 of 19

Re: No Dial Tone - Broadband Still Works.

Go to solution

This is usually caused by a dry joint or a crack on one of the BT wires or sockets. The broadband runs at a very high frequency and can "jump" this air-gap where the phone current cannot.

If your master socket has a horizontal split, unscrew and remove the lower half and plug the filter and hub and one phone in the test socket behind the master front face. If it still does it in the test socket you will not be charged by BT to fix the problem. Leave the phone in the test socket ready for when (s)he arrives.

If the clean socket works fine, check the connection between front plate and backplate for verdigris or dirt.

Tags (1)
lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Okay - Got home and i took the front off the master socket (looks like this - http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mark/blog/blog_files/misc/phone-socket.jpg) i plugged the phone into the test point with the same problem no dial tone, i tried another phone and this still didnt work. 

I took the house phone and the spare phone over to the other point i have been using which also gave me no dial tone. 

Broadband is working fine still but no phone service - i can't get through to BT as the wait time is stupid (30mins+) and that is not free off a mobile......

0 Ratings
Peggypureycust
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Deffo needs BT to fix the cable. You have done everything to prove it is their fault.  Call them on your mobile at 8 am and report a voice (Phone) problem NOT a broadband problem.  Don't even MENTION broadband.   No point in calling lunch or evenings - snowed under.

P.S. if the removable part had wires connected to it which go to the extensions, the other phone points will not work with the plate removed as they will be isolated.

When you get this all sorted, remove the orange/white wires from terminal 3 of the removable plate to get maximum speed (see here http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html ) 

lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Yes i tested the other phones when the master plate was connected and then tested the master plate itself so i did them two things seperate. 

If i get billed for this i am not going to be impressed

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Hi lilrichieh

Yep definitly sounds like a spanner in the works here.  The charge is only applied if the problem is within your house, beyond the master socket, but as long as you know its not the phone and its still dead in the test socket you should be ok.

If you want me to report a fault and get everything arranged for your just drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your BT account details and a link back to this thread and I'll be happy to sort it out.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution
Email Sent As Requested - 20:12pm 5th Feb 2010
0 Ratings
lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

Hello,

is their any news one this?

Richard

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Hi Lilrichieh,

Thanks for posting. We have your email and will get back to you today.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
lilrichieh
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

Okay - i am just concious we are going to get billed for this.

Richard

0 Ratings