Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Sword
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

No Dial Tone and Broadband problems

Hi all, newbie here.

Not a complaint (yet!) but I'm hoping for some guidance.

Last Wednesday (11-01-12) I experienced a total loss of service (phone, broadband) on my BT line around 9pm. I came in from work the following day and the broadband was working intermittently (synched at 2meg rather than the usual 8-9meg) but still no dial tone on the phone. I did the testing at the test socket, 2 different corded phones, broadband router with 3 different filters, with the same results. So I did a line test/reported the fault to BT online and was informed that the fault was likely in the 'BT Network' rather than 'near' or 'in' the home or at the exchange. A repair time of 5pm Tuesday 17-01-12 was given. Fair enough, still within the window.

However, I should mention that I have my broadband and call package with Sky. My line rental is still with BT, I didn't switch it in case something like this happened and I ended up with another layer of red tape to go through. But did I do right by reporting it to BT (my line provider) rather than Sky (the service provider)? I have since found out that four others (likely more, I don't know that many people here) in my neighbourhood have exactly the same problem with their line, three of them with BT only.

I'm not even sure what I'm asking here, but if the fault isn't repaired by the given date, who should I be looking to hassle? 

Again, thanks for any advice :smileysad:

EDIT: I maybe should mention that I am at the Rock Ferry exchange on Merseyside (LVROC), in case anyone is wandering through with the same problem. Duffy won't want to come here with all this going on :smileywink:

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No Dial Tone and Broadband problems

I am afraid there is nothing anyone can do here. You need to contact Sky and report the problem, they are your service provider. Openreach maintain the lines, but will only take action if contacted by a service provider

This forum is for BT Retail customers only, sorry.

Please see http://community.bt.com/t5/Terms-Guidelines/BTCare-Community-Forums-User-Guidelines/td-p/2

0 Ratings
Broken_Sword
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Ah I see. Sorry, I didn't read the guidelines when registering and I should have. 

Thanks for the reply, at least I know what I need to do now, I appreciate it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

If you are thinking of moving  to BT for your phone and broadband services, you are more than welcome to ask people here about BT services, including BT Infinity and BT Vision.

There are plenty of people here who will give you advice, and you will see that there is plenty of user support :smileyhappy:

0 Ratings
Broken_Sword
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Again, thanks for indulging me. I'd love nothing more than to move to BT Infinity, faster broadband is absolutely top of my wishlist over any other service. But I suspect I'll be waiting a long time for it to be available to me. I never had a problem with BT services when I had them, in fact I was impressed with their broadband technical support when I needed them, although that was five years ago now. 

I've just logged into my BT account and found that I'm actually on the unlimited weekend calls plan. So I do have a BT phone service. But then I googled for the code you need to access it (1280 before dialling the number you want it seems) and found that my provider disabled this so you can't ring out through BT. Very sneaky. No wonder I'm paying extra for caller ID and 1571 on my BT line. I guess they're nudging me towards cutting all ties with BT and throwing all my money at them. I hate those kind of business bullying tactics more than I hate paying an extra couple of quid a month. I'm going to have to do some sums, but I'm not happy and you may have helped bring an ex-BT customer back to the fold!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

It the end, the choice is yours. You will see people on here complaining about BTs service, but there are many more who are quite satisfied, and never post anything on user forums.

The other thing to remember, is that most ISPs provide only basic technical support for free. This is usually enough to get routers up and running, and simple connections to devices.

The do not have the ability to assist with more complex problems, and will often have a premium helpline.

The BT Community Forums were set up to address some of these issues, and are moderated by a UK based BT Care Team, who can assist when needed.

Please spend some time reading these forums, then make your own mind up.

0 Ratings