cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
canucki
Message 1 of 7

No caller display on new phones but works on old phone.

Hi, 

Recently purchased a Panasonic cordless phone with nuisance blocker for work. Nr. Lambourn, Berks  (Can't remember the model off hand)

At first the caller display worked as expected. Then one day last summer it decided to stop working. I just get the "incoming call" displayed on screen.

After alot of conversations, checks, double checks with BT etc. they assured me my caller display service was working.

Nope... it wasn't. I did all the checks you could imagine. (even the master socket one) yet the caller display would not work.

I plugged back in my 12 year old NTL phone (that was replaced by the Panasonic) and bingo... caller display shows the incoming number. Hmm. So I plug the Panasonic back in.. doesn't work. So I take the Panasonic home and plug it in. (Nr. Swindon) and the Panasonic shows caller display. But take it back to work (Nr. Lambourn) and it doesn't work. 

As said, my old NTL cordless is showing incoming numbers so the caller display service is working. 

But the Panasonic is not faulty as it works correctly and shows incoming numbers at home nr. Swindon.

Round two... I now purchase a BT phone (BT4600 Premium Nuisance call Blocker) thinking it is a BT product and may work correctly at work on a BT landline.... NOPE!! No caller display... just "incoming call" showing on my screen. 

So after a wasted £60.00 I have to go back and use the old NTL phone to get caller display.

The point of having a new phone was to use call blocker and better answer phone facility but the caller display service will not work nr. Lambourn on any new phone that I plug in. Is this bizarre or what??

Sorry for the long winded message but after reading you'll understand.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: No caller display on new phones but works on old phone.

Welcome to this user forum.

Is your work line a business line?

0 Ratings
canucki
Message 3 of 7

Hi thanks for the quick reply. No it isn't a business line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Do you have broadband on the line ?, You can have an issue where the broadband port develops a fault, but in a way that doesn't affect the broadband performance but the telephony service that shares the line, basically the calling line information (CLI) leaves the exchange equipment (telephony) goes in and out of the broadband equipment and onto your caller display equipment, the 'fault' corrupts the CLI data as it travels thru the broadband , so when it arrives at your display, it cannot decode the data and displays 'incoming call' or whatever, your older phone may well be a little better at decoding this  corrupted data hence it displaying the calling number, but the newer phone just giving a 'incoming' message.

Your problem will be getting anything done about it, because even if your line rental and broadband provider is the same company, CLI is a telephony product so reporting CLI would normally involve the telephony department, but it's probably the ISP part of the company that needs to be involved to swap over the broadband port, and if you call 'internet'  department they will probably say 'CLI is nothing to do with us, contact your phone line provider' !!!

Personally I would report it to your phone line provider, as CLI not working, they will undoubtedly give you the ' if it's not our equipment/line plant  but your own equipment or wiring it's chargeable' warning...if you proceed and book an appointment , when the engineer calls , explain the problem, and say you may well  need a broadband ' lift and shift ' ...before you do that make sure you have tried your new phone in the test position of the master socket (directly plugged in no broadband filter) just to confirm the problem is present there

if the line doesn't have broadband, then ignore all the above

0 Ratings
canucki
Message 6 of 7

Okay, thank you.

I just had an online chat and they tell me it is the phone at fault. But how come it works at my home?

Poor quality phone line at work or something?? Bizarre. 

0 Ratings
canucki
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I have broadband. I did the check with the master socket already.
And thanks for the advice. Will try.
0 Ratings