Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

No dial tone after upgrading to fibre

Hi all,

It's what it says on the tin, really. My fibre upgrade [FTTC] went live on the 30th of july, but it turns out I don't have a dial tone, simple as that.

Tried both the main and test sockets, same deal. Tried the online troubleshooter but I have no idea what answer to give to the "CA returned" question.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: No dial tone after upgrading to fibre

CA = Customer Apparatus , your phone.

If you have tried a different phone, then all you can do is to report it to BT as "no dial tone".

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

So, do I just give them a bell and hope that someone answers on the weekend? Do I wait till monday?

Half an hour ago, I went over to my neighbours and borrowed a phone real quick, still no dial tone.

And if I were to go back to the online fault reporting, do I pick yes or no to the CA question? That's what the main issue was earlier and I couldn't complete the diagnostics because of it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Did you try using test socket to check for dial tone just in case problem is master socket faceplate. Could save £85 call out chsrge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Probably answer no to CA. That should take you to an option to book a visit, but double check all your connections first.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Tried main, tried test, tried both phones on both sockets, still no dial tone. Even tried a couple different splitters.

I'll go back to the troubleshooter and see what can be done. Broadband still works so it's not necessarily an emergency, but I'd rather have it fixed regardless.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

I would imagine, given the potential for charges if the customers own equipment is faulty and not anything that Openreach are responsible for, when it comes to reporting a fault ( using whatever method, on line or phone call ) the service provider needs the bill payer or bill payers representative to accept the potential for charging , otherwise an OR visit won’t be arranged.

when a line is tested and a fault indicated, if a fault is obviously not at or close to the customers address, then this warning isn’t necessary, but if the fault is CA , (the test equipment best guess where the fault is) that suggests it could be at the customer end, hence the need to get an acknowledgement that the customer understands the potential for charges.

In your  case as you have been diligent in proving the fault to the outside of your property you can confidently accept the warning, many misunderstand this ‘warning’ , hence the complaints ‘I’m being charged to get the line repaired’ which isn’t true, the charge is only if you get a visit and the problem is of the customers own making

0 Ratings