cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 14

No dial tone but broadband working - HOW ?

Go to solution

Hi,

As the subject, I found I had no dial tone late yesterday but the internet was working OK.  I have found that some around the village have no dial tone but some do, with no apparent location pattern.  I reported no dial tone to BT and have a fix date of by 31-12.  The roads in and out of the village are flooded but none near the cabinets,

How can this be please ?

Merry Xmas

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: No dial tone but broadband working - HOW ?

Go to solution

If the Internet is working at full speed, then it will be an exchange fault, or damage to the cable from the exchange to the cabinet, assuming you are on a VDSL connection.

Exchange faults can often affect just certain people, depending on what concentrator they are connected to.

If multiple customers are affected, it will be fixed very quickly, as someone would be called out today.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

Many thanks for the reply.  Yes I am on FTTC, speed normal at 35 to 38Mbps.

Obviously I do not know the exact route for the cable from the exchange to the cabinet but I would hazard a guess that for about half a mile it runs along a road that was flooded yesterday.  This has happened once or twice  a year for the 40 years I have lived here and it has not caused this problem before. 

So perhaps it has affected the copper phone cable but not the FTTC cable ?

Merry Xmas

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Some years ago we lost dial tone but not broadband.  It took 18 days to fix (via an email to the CEO).  It seems broadband works quite well on one wire, whereas the  phone definitely needs two.  Our overhead cable, probably 70 years old, had failed but one conductor lingered on.  The delay was mainly in gaining access to our pole (which was marked "do not climb"). 

The same pole is now being prepared for overhead FTTP.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

From the exchange to the main cabinet there a cable which only carries your phone connection. Then there is a short tie cable from the main cabinet to into the fibre cabinet, where its combined with the broadband signal and then returned back to the main cabinet on another tie cable. From there, it continues to your house.

So a loss of dial tone can be caused by a fault anywhere from the exchange equipment, to the PSTN input to the fibre port in the fibre cabinet.

As more than one customer is affected, its possible the cable is damaged. That would affect other providers like Sky and TalkTalk, as they have their own equipment in the exchange. ADSL customers would also be affected.

If its just BT Retail customers that are affected, then its likely to be an exchange fault, possibly an isolated remote concentrator, or a failure of the power supply feeding the rack. Either of those should be attended to fairly quickly.

What do you get if you ring your phone line from a mobile, as that can give a clue as to the type of fault?

pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the delay in replying, we got on with the festivities.  Hope had some too.

Tried ringing home from a mobile, as you suggested, and I got 5 beeps, similar to an engaged tone, and then silence.

Happy Boxing Day

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi Keith,

Sorry for the delay in replying, we got on with the festivities.  Hope had some too.

Tried ringing home from a mobile, as you suggested, and I got 5 beeps, similar to an engaged tone, and then silence.

Happy Boxing Day

That sounds like an exchange fault, as if it was a line fault, you would hear ringing tone. I am surprised that is not been looked at yet. As it would not be Openreach's responsibility, it will probably stick in their queue anyway, until someone discovers its an exchange fault and escalates it to another department. Not sure if it would be these days, as the names are always changing.

Do you know whether any of your neighbours who are on BT Retail, get the same response if they call their number from a mobile? I suppose if you know their phone number, you could try calling them yourself.  

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Judging by the responses on Facebook I suspect the whole village is out.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Judging by the responses on Facebook I suspect the whole village is out.

That tends to point to a major fault in the exchange, perhaps water ingress? The response you got when you rang you number, suggests that part of the exchange may be isolated, and  the calls are not reaching the exchange.

It should  show up on the BT service status page, if its affecting a lot of customers.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

Just used the link on the forum to see of the area is out but there is nothing stated.  Tried ringing BT but just got what sounded like a drunken Irish man who just said he can't help becuase of the holidays. 

Just in case you have other ways, the area is PE19 5D.

0 Ratings