cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: No dial tone but broadband working - HOW ?

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe ,

One of the3 cables that serve the village went faulty and had to be replaced.  I spoke to an engineer at our cabinet earlier today and he was making the necessary connections.  I did congratulate hin amd his team mates for working over the Bank Holiday and in the freezing cold.

My line was restored  at 13:39.  Many others report their's as fixed but there are others still without service and 2 have crossed lines.  The latter is a miracle.

Much better than the predicted 4-1-21 date.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 14

Go to solution

@pompey1898 

I guessed it would be much faster, with that many people affected. Cable damage can present some strange line conditions to the exchange.

0 Ratings
Neuromancer
Beginner
Message 13 of 14

Go to solution

I have the same problem 3 weeks later there is still no fix. You ask how, broadly there are two wires connected to your house lets call them signal and ground, the landline uses the voltage between these wires to carry the telephone call. Broadband also uses this difference but also has a backup mode called single wire which can work only using the signal wire and the local earth. I suspect that is why you BB is still working. This kind of failure indicates a problem in the return wire probably underground.  Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Neuromancer ,

The issue was resolved soon after Xmas.  It was caused by one of the cables from the exchange to the cabinet being damaged by water ingress during the flood.

0 Ratings