cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

No dial tone on activation day

Recieved an email to say everything is up and running and ready to go. Plugged phone in and no dial tone. Is this usual? Should I wait till midnight? Will the dial tone come on when it is 'activated'.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: No dial tone on activation day

You need the dial tone before broadband will work and it can take up to midnight. Just need to wait

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@philmax 

No, dial tone should have been there first, so I suspect there is an issue somewhere.

Did you plug your phone into the test socket on the master socket, to make sure there was not an issue with your internal wiring?

If its still off tomorrow, you need to report it to BT right away, as an Openreach task would have already been built for such an occasion, and you are entitled to a free visit to sort the problem out.

If you do not report the problem, then the Openreach task will be cancelled, and you may have to wait longer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 11

I have plugged into the master socket, nothing. I have just come back to BT from Virgin (2yrs), so the line from my socket to the pole is fairly new.

Just phoned BT, they said the dial tone will come on when its activated... just wait. Im not convinced.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Part of the broadband commissioning process required that there has to be a working phone line for Openreach to run the test, which is why I am a bit concerned.

When did Openreach visit to fit the new line, as they should have tested for dial tone then?

What happens if you ring your phone number from a mobile, can you hear ringing tone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 11

I now have an engineer coming out.

The line was reconnected 3yrs ago for BT Broadband and it there was no problem. Went to Virgin for 2 years. No one came this time to check physically.

When I call the number I can hear a ringing tone. 

It will be interesting to find out the problem

Thanks for your help 👍

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@philmax wrote:

I now have an engineer coming out.

The line was reconnected 3yrs ago for BT Broadband and it there was no problem. Went to Virgin for 2 years. No one came this time to check physically.

When I call the number I can hear a ringing tone. 

It will be interesting to find out the problem

Thanks for your help 👍

That original connection would have been long gone, and the routing used for another customer, or to replace a faulty pair.

The fact that you can hear ringing out, means that the phone number is active, but is not reaching your house.

It should have already been checked in the exchange on the MDF (Main Distribution Frame), at the last point.

From there it would go to the "normal" cabinet, where it should have been checked again, before it was diverted via the "fibre" cabinet via tie cables.

A check should have been made at that point, to make sure that there is still dial tone when it returns from the "fibre" cabinet, and the number is still correct. This is to make sure that there is not a fault in the "fibre" cabinet, or on any of the tie pairs.

The output from the cabinet, would then be connected to the designated cable pair on the DP (Distribution Point) which is allocated to your number.

In your case, you say it is from a pole.

There are a few possibilities.

The cable pair from the cabinet to the DP is faulty.

The cable from the DP to your house has been disconnected, or is faulty. (dropwire)

The end of the dropwire to your master socket is faulty, or the master socket itself is faulty.

The Openreach Field Technician would normally check at the cabinet first, to see if there is dial tone. Then move on to the DP to check there (sometimes they will check at the house end first, as it may save climbing the pole!)

You may get an answer from the Openreach person tomorrow, or they may just ring you on you mobile and ask you to check the line again, if they have found the fault.

Provided all of the work has been completed properly at the cabinet, then once you get dial tone, you should get broadband as well.

Perhaps you could update this thread once everything is working. Thanks.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 11

Thanks again for your help and explanations.

I have just realised that the phone number I have is my old Virgin number. Im not fully disconnected from Virgin until Feb 3rd. Just plugged into the Virgin socket, no dial tone. Perhaps something went wrong with the number transfer?

I will update once its all sorted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

I assume you originally ported your BT number to Virgin?

Now you have returned to BT, your number would have been returned to BT, which is why your Virgin phone line has no dial tone.

The rest of your Virgin services would cease on Feb 3rd, as Virgin us a totally different method of delivery than BT, as they do not use Openreach. Their phone service is simply an addon to their TV and broadband package, and can be ceased independently.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 11

I honestly can't remember if I ported the bt number to virgin. Ive never used my landline, and had to search the loft for a phone so I could carry out the dial tone test!

0 Ratings