cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Discostu007
Message 1 of 8

No dial tone

My BT landline has no dial tone. When I call it from a mobile I hear it ringing on my mobile, but the landline phone does not ring. I can't call out on my landline phone.
My internet works fine. I am using arcnet power sockets provided by BT for use with my BT youview box. I've had an online line test done and it says there are no faults in my line.
Any ideas how to get my phone working again without paying £129 for an engineer call out?!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: No dial tone

does your phone work in the test socket  test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Discostu007
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry, but I'm not sure where/what the test socket is! If you could explain it I will try it when I get back home later. Thanks again
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

the master socket is located were the phone cables enter your house
Discostu007
Message 5 of 8

Thanks. It is connected there already. I plugged the phone line in directly this morning without using the adaptor for 2 phone lines which we have and still the same.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

you should only have 1 socket that looks like the one I posted or it could look like this  fibre SSFP.jpg

it is the first socket in your home where the openreach cable comes in

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Discostu007
Message 7 of 8

I had an engineer out a few months ago as we lost the use of the on demand feature on our TV which we have BT youview for. The line check showed a fault close to the house but they couldn't say if it was inside or outside the house so the engineer came out for free. The problem was with the arcnet power sockets supplied by BT. Not sure if this is related again or not though as I don't know how to use the on demand feature without the kids to show me!
0 Ratings
Discostu007
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for the photo. It is a single socket on the wall, but we use a twin adaptor that plugs into the wall socket as we have a surge protector extension lead that also plugs into the phone socket. Sorry if this is confusing, I can take a photo later if needed to explain.
0 Ratings