cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

No engineer available for over 24 hours. May need to call emergency services for lifesaving help.

Go to solution

I cannot make outgoing calls.  Keep getting message to try again.  Have tried master socket and two other sockets with three wired telephones.  Went to online help.  Explained that my husband is 82  with very serious heart and lung problems.  If he needs immediate medical life-saving help I cannot use the landline. I am in my 70's and disabled.  Mobile reception not reliable.  Need land line fixed straight away.  We are isolated without telephone. Earliest appointment for engineer is over 24 hours away - tomorrow afternoon between 13.00 and 18.00. Engineer booked for then, but what do I do if my husband needs help before then!!!!!   

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES
LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Unable to make 999 calls in a medical emergency

Go to solution
No engineer available for over 24 hours. May need to call emergency services for lifesaving help.

I cannot make outgoing calls.  Keep getting message to try again.  Have tried master socket and two other sockets with three wired telephones.  Went to online help.  Explained that my husband is 82 with very serious heart and lung problems.  If he needs immediate medical life-saving help I cannot use the landline to call for help as it does not work. I am in my 70's and disabled.  Mobile reception not reliable.  Need land line fixed straight away.  We are isolated without telephone. Earliest appointment for engineer is over 24 hours away - tomorrow afternoon between 13.00 and 18.00. Engineer booked for then.  If I telephone 999 for assistance the ambulance service treats my husband's condition as a priority.  ONLY I CANNOT CALL 999.  I posted this originally over three hours ago.  No-one from BT has responded.  Has no-one from BT the guts to respond to me and tell me why we have to wait over 24 hours for an engineer.  My husband served his country as an Officer in the Royal Air Force and now BT treats him like this.  Shame on you, BT. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 23

Re: Unable to make 999 calls in a medical emergency

Go to solution

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

Your posting here does not go to BT Retail who moderate this forum.

Its Openreach that do the repairs, and unless you are registered as a priority customer, you would have been given the earliest repair appointment time.

Plese see http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31633/~/i-rely-on-my-telephone-and-need-it-repaired-u...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you.  How do we register as a priority customer.  I was not told about this when I went to the help pages and said that we need the telephone because of medical emergencies.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

@LibertyBelle wrote:

Thank you.  How do we register as a priority customer.  I was not told about this when I went to the help pages and said that we need the telephone because of medical emergencies.

Its on the link I posted on my last post.

https://btplc.com/Inclusion/HelpAndSupport/DocumentsandDownloads/Communicationchoices/FreePriorityFa...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Thank you very much.  Have just had a look at it and will apply .  Pity the person who was answering my queries on the report a fault section did not mention it.  Thanks again.

0 Ratings
LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

Used the link you gave and read the document.  The application form for the Free Priority Repair Scheme comes with the  printed  version of the booklet.  To  get the booklet call 0800 800 150.  But I cannot make outgoing calls on the landline. Or get a copy from the website - but when you go to the section for the Booklet - Sorry this service is not available at the moment.  Managed eventually to call that number on my mobile and as reception is unreliable the operator  called me back on the landline which will work with incoming calls.  The operator was unable to access the site as well so cannot send me the booklet and application form.   Wonderful, wonderful BT.  Thanks for your help, anyway. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

Its odd that you can get incoming calls but cannot make outgoing ones, as its the same pair of wires. Have you tried a different phone?

If you have tried a different phone, and it still does not work, then is probably a fault within the telephone exchange equipment.

0 Ratings
LibertyBelle
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Have tried the master socket and two other sockets with three different wired  telephones.  Same problem every time.  No outgoing calls, but incoming fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Then I would suspect its a fault on the line card in the exchange, that should be quite easy for an Openreach Frames Technician to fix.

I assume you get no dial tone at all on the phone? Or do you get dial tone, but cannot dial out?

This may seem an odd question, but if you do get dial tone, there is an exchange fault that can stop you using a tone phone, but will allow you to call from a phone that has the option to to pulse dialling.

0 Ratings