cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apulmax
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

No fault found so we are going to bill you £99 and lie about your wiring!!

Déjà vu yet again with BT.

For a while I had people telling me that they have been calling me several times but I have not been in.

I had been in but never heard the phone ring. I then get a call from my Brother on my mobile, he said "are you not at home?"

"Yes" I replied. He said he had been calling me but there was no answer. I asked him to call me again on the landline, which he did. The phone eventually rang which I answered. He said it had been ringing for 8 to 10 times before I answered it. I said I answered it staright away.

After ringing several times from different landlines to my landline and elliminating any internal equipment or wiring fault (I am an ex telephone engineer so know what I am doing) I called BT. The woman on the other end did a line test but that came back clear. I then asked her to ring me and count the amount of rings up to me answering. she did so and told me it had rang 6 times. We did it twice more and it ranged from 4 to 6 riings before ringing this end.

She asked what did I want to do about it. I said you need to fix it as people are hanging up before I the phone rings.

She promptly went through the process off booking an "Openreach" engineer to visit but promptly read off a script that if the engineer does not find a fault or the fault is located on my equipment or internal wiring, then I will be charged £99.

I said to them that I have no internal wiring, just the dropwire coming into a master socket which my broadband router and DECT phone plugs into. I have also swapped phones to prove the DECT phones are not causing any issues.

They just seemed to ignore what I just told them and then repeated that they will charge me £99 if the fault it in my internal wiring. I thought this was highly suspicious so I asked her to log on the system that they confirmed they called my number several times and it rang 4 to 6 times their end before it rang my end. She said she would, so at least I had record of the proof.

The next day the openreach engineer called me from the exchange and asked me what was wrong with the phone. I asked him what was his fault log with my number. He said I have no information, just a problem with your phone line.

I explained everything to him and he said he would reset the line card in the exchange then come visit me, which he did.

He tested the phone from his mobile and it rang straight away. I asked him ring it a few times which he did and again it rang straight away. I said to him, the fault was probably on the linecard as you had reset it, it probably has cleared the fault. He agreed, but also did his scrpited speel about charging me £99 for a no fault found. I said you had reset the line card and agreed it probably fixed the ringing delay. He said BT are trying to recover costs so are starting to charge customers for visits where no fault is found. He told me not to worry as I won't be charged, then left.

A few weeks later, I get an unusually high bill, apon inspecting it, I see a £99 charge. I immediately rang BT and they said it was for the call out. I said the engineer reset the lincard and fixed it? She said no, on screen it says, fault due to customers internal wiring. I said no way, I have no internal wiring. She said she would escalate this complaint and get back to me. 2/3 weeks later i get a call from BT saying the £99 charge still stands as the eningeer said the fault was in your wiring. I again told her I had NO internal wiring and to remove the charge. She said she could NOT waive the charge.

I am left with no alternative but to terminate my contract with BT for false accusation and gross incompetence.

Two earlier ongoing issues regarding my broadband and failing to port a number over when my Brother joined BT have still not been resolved, so what chances do I have with this?

BT I will be taking libel action against you. The lies are on record!

LOOK NO INTERNAL WIRING!!!

photo.JPG

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: No fault found so we are going to bill you £99 and lie about your wiring!!

This is essentially a customer to customer forum and posts do not automatically get actioned by BT. Best thing is to contact the BT Care Team; they are the moderators who over see the forum and will be able to look into this for you. They may take a few days to respond but you will get an immediate online acknowledgement with a reference number to note in case you need to follow up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
apulmax
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

I want other BT customers to see what BT are up to trying to rip us off.

I have no intention of contacting the BT Care Team, they have taken it too far this time. I have had enough of BT and will be taking action against them.

0 Ratings
michty6
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

This is BT101.  Tell the customer what they want to hear - even if it is complete absolute lies - then deny this later.  I would bet money the first person you talked to never even bothered to write down any account notes at all so that this could be used for later denial that the call ever happened.

Can you imagine how many people this happens to who aren't ex telephone engineers and just get stuck with the bill?

Trying to resolve this with BT will just be more of the same - a bunch of call reps will claim they are 'escalating' the issue then they will do nothing.

Best to send a letter to their legal team asking them to drop the charge or you will take them to small claims court to cover damages in costs for switching lines, letters sent, damage to credit rating etc.

0 Ratings
apulmax
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Thank you for the advice mitchy6. I called BT last night to tell them I will be terminating my contract with them once I have found another provider to go with. The guy at the terminations department, looked at my notes and said in a sarcastic voice "yes sir, you can terminate your contract but you will be billed for the remaining time up to the end of your contract"

He then said I had an agreement with BT to stay with them for a year, again, sarcastically saying "that's what a contract is"

To make my blood boil is an understatement! I immediately replied, yes and BT have an obligation to fulfil that contract, which clearly they are not. So I have every right to terminate my contract. BT have screwed me around for over 2 years with my broadband dropping out daily. It still drops out but I am too tire of keep ringing them as they have no clue what they are doing.

This is BT getting their own back on me, thought they would claw a few quid back out of me, well sorry BT, it's going to cost you a lot more once I have dragged you through the courts!

I wonder if the Openreach engineer realised that I would be using his words against him, when he told me "Openreach are now a separate entity, BT contract them to maintain BT's network and equipment. Every time Openreach does a job, they bill BT, so now BT are charging customers at every opportunity to reclaim some of it's engineering costs"

I will be contacting trading standards today regarding the sharp practices and libel.

Say tuned................

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

Hi

When you proved the problem did you unscrew the filtered front plate and plug your phone direct in the test socket? The fault "may" have been on that SSFP front plate. The engineer may have classed that as customers own wiring/equipment

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Hi apulmax,

My experience of the mods on this forum is that they are very good - yours is obviously different. However I agree 100% that the other support centres have a reputation of lying and not fixing much if anything.

I wish you the best of luck with the courts, but to be honest I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You can write on here whatever the engineer said to you, but all he has to do is deny saying it and then it's your word against him.

Also, in your last post you claim to have been having broadband problems for over 2 years, but your first post in these forums was in November 2012 and stated that you first reported the problem in July 2012 - only 8 or 9 months ago. Any good lawyer will highlight inconsistencies such as these so you need to make sure you have verifiable evidence of when you reported the problems, how you and/or BT went about trying to resolve them etc - hearsay from an engineer won't cut it.

If you do decide to leave BT and not pay the early cancellation fee, make sure that you send a written dispute of the charge to BT and discuss with them how this fee argument is to be resolved, otherwise they are in their right to put a black mark on your credit file. Telling them that you are going to take the matter to the courts IS an acceptable reason to stop the credit black mark but you then MUST either pay or go to court within a short time. If you lose the court action then the black mark again becomes valid.

I genuinely wish you the best of luck and I will be interested if you can post the results here, but I think you will need very deep pockets to take this approach.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

From someone who's had their own problems with BT, that's an exemplary post, ach. I too would be interested to see the outcome, particularly of the libel action.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
apulmax
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Can I make a few points clear here.

I did report this problem in July 2012 when my broadband kept going down "AGAIN" after a period of months of it working okay. I first had broadband problems 2 years ago in which BT again failed to provide me with a reliable service and a reasonable repair service. I then complained to the Ombudsman services and BT was found guilty or failing to provide me with a reliable service. I was offered some compensation and a promise that this was a one off failing (laughing hysterically) and that it would never happen again should I choose to stay with BT. I accepted the 3 months rental rebate and stayed with BT (mug)

July 2012, was a mirror image of the year previous that left me to diagnose the fault myself.

I am still having daily dropouts but too tired and fed up with spending up to 2 hours on the phone each time I call them, then listening to the guy in an Indian accent that can't speak English properly speel off a script saying "Let me take this problem on board personally and help you to the end" The problem is, you never hear from them again.

I have spoken to Trading Standards this afternoon and under the "Supply of goods and services act 1982" they said I have a case against them. They told me to write to BT and make a formal complaint against them for lack of service and not meeting their obligations of the contract and to demand compensation for loss of service and lying about internal wiring which I do NOT have.

I will keep you posted

0 Ratings
apulmax
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

@Devon_Dave

The test was done after the removal of the front plate on the master socket. It seems funny the fault cleared after the engineer reset the line card. It does not take a genius to work that one out.

0 Ratings