Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

No phone line, Openreach awol

Go to solution

I am deliberately keeping my opinion and anger out of this post as I don't believe it will help.
As briefly as possible, my tale seems to be similar to several posts here.
Our phone line died on the 22nd September, i.e 11 days ago, and predictably took our broadband connection with it.

A visit from an Openreach engineer diagnosed an underground fault just outside our property and he arranged for an "underground" team to start work on the 26th September. They did not arrive.

Since then, my numerous calls to 151 and live chats have resulted in dates of 29th September, 1st October, and today 2nd October for work to start. Not one of these dates have been met, the evidence being that the inspection cover over the fault site has clearly not been disturbed for a long time.

Further calls to 151 seem somewhat futile as Open-reach will just give them and me another date early next week that they have no intention of fulfilling.

I think my next step is probably to email the BT CEO, but I wonder if anyone has any good ideas or comments before I do.

Thanks.

Posted via an unreliable PAYG 3G mobile phone signal, so apologies if I have trouble getting online to respond to any replies.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: No phone line, Openreach awol

Go to solution

Hi Andrew600,

Thanks for posting and welcome back!

Sorry that your services have developed a fault and for the time it's taking to repair.  I'll be happy to pick this up from here and check what's causing the hold up.

Click on my username and you'll see the link to get in touch under the "about me" section.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Many, many thanks Robbie.

Details have been sent to you.

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

Some extra information in case it helps.

I have now found 3 other properties in the village with the same problem, as well as several who have no noticeable issues at all.

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

A quick update on this.

A small army of Openreach engineers have been working on this most of the week. The fault was signalled as resolved by BT today, but the line is still dead and I have re-opened the fault.

I spoke to the Openreach engineers working on it who said "as soon as we fix a fault in the line another one pops up somewhere else"

They hope we might be back in action on Monday 12 October, but it is far from certain.

This is clearly a major cable failure, so I understand and accept the delay to a point though I can't help getting impatient.

The Openreach engineers on site are extremely helpful and pleasant, and are obviously trying hard, and thanks to the mod team here for their help.

I will be very, very happy when the day comes that I can press the "solved" button on this thread.

Andrew600
Contributor
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

Another problem has arrived!

BT have updated the fault tracking page to say the fault is resolved even though our phone is still as dead as the proverbial door nail. 

I promptly pressed the "not fixed" button which then says either your session has expired or field required (whatever that means ) depending on the mood it is in, and dumps me back at the beginning again. Trying again gets the same result over and over again.

In short, BT tell me the fault is resolved and will not let me tell them it is not.

There are good people at BT doing their best, including the mods here, but this is totally unacceptable.

31 days with no phone or broadband is bad enough, but to have the "system" declare the problem solved for no good reason is the final straw. I am very unhappy.

I suppose I will have to find a way to contact BT by phone or use the hateful live chat to reopen it again. I honestly cannot face that today.

0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

I cannot believe this. They have done it again.

The fault is again marked as fixed despite the mods clearing the last "error" and, of course, it isn't. As before, the fault tracking web page will not accept "not fixed" as an answer. The phone is as dead as it has been for over a month.

Repeatedly marking a fault fixed doesn't make it true. Making it impossible to tell you it is not fixed just makes customers angry.

The Openreach guys have been working outside our garden gate. Just ask us if the phone works for gods sake. Would that be so difficult!?

In fact, it would only take 30 minutes to knock on every affected door in the village. How will those who have not spent money on mobile internet access know the problem has been falsely declared fixed?

As I said in the last post, there are good people at BT, but the company as a whole just looks incompetent because of stupid moves like this.

Sorry, but I'm absolutely furious this time. We have been messed around too often now. Perhaps I need to look at mobile as a permanent solution. The monthly caps are not ideal, but at least it works 95% of the time.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Hi @Andrew600,

I'm so sorry you're fault has still not been sorted. I've sent your fault report back to Openreach advising its still not working and your case handler has already made arrangements to get back to you tomorrow with further updates.

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution
Thanks for the very quick response, and for reopening the fault. It's much appreciated.

I hope you can understand why we are so angry. It is certainly not any reflection on the performance of your team who have been excellent throughout.
0 Ratings
Andrew600
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

An interesting, and hopefully positive, development.

Our cabinet has just been enabled for fibre broadband, so, as I always intended prior to this mess, I have placed an order which was accepted. Activation is scheduled for 4th November. 

Two engineers have told me that the line from the cabinet to the house is not faulty, so am I safe in assuming the phone problems will not impact the order if they have not been solved by then?

0 Ratings