cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ebury72
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

No phone or broadband

Our phone line/broadband went dead on thursday 10am.Numerous calls to indian call center(s) have been pointless as they just say there has been a fault put on my account and we will get a call from an engineer soon.Cant speak to anybody to book a visit,told should be sorted by 24th november!
Why cant bt send an engineer,no one else on bt in my street has a problem.
Our phone line is urgently needed for calls to sick relative in spain.

How can bt continue to do nothing whilst offering no service and attempt to fix?

The main reason to continue to use bt is the thought that with any problems with the line/broadband,bt would fix quicker than the rest....

Wonder if we get the line back on before our contract is up in march?

16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: No phone or broadband

BT Retail do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT Retail do not get any special treatment.

The standard repair times are shown on this page.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9394/~/customer-service-guarantee

0 Ratings
ebury72
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Does not matter who a company use to maintain their service.My contract is with BT,who are legally bound to provide a service that i am paying for.
BT then should provide me with a contact with openreach so i can get an engineer out asap.

I have a contract with BT to provide both phone and broadband,not openreach!

I have to for a line rental to bt regardless if i ever make a call,but BT cant be bothered to sort out .
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

you contact BT Faults on 151 once the voice line fault is cleared your broadband service will restore automatically Openreach do not deal with the public 3 working days after the fault is reported is Openreach's normal response time for residential faults
0 Ratings
ebury72
Beginner
Message 5 of 17

..so i contact BT after they fix the line...genius! So i call india after the line is working to tell them my lines working
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

What John meant was that you contact BT to get the phone line fixed.

Once the phone is working again, the broadband should start working again on its own, there is no need to contact BT again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

The service level for residential lines is that if there is a fault, then Openreach will investigate within three working days.  If Openreach need to contact you, they will.  If they think it's outside yourhome, they will probably just fix it.

If it isn't fixed within three working days, then you can start claiming back your line rental and broadband charges from BT.  It's much easier to wait until it's working again, that way you know how much to claim.

If three working days issn't good enough for you, you need to pay extra for faster service.  Residential phone and broadband is cheap, and there's a reason why it's cheap compared with a business service.

0 Ratings
ebury72
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Keith,i did contact bt as soon as the line went dead,but still i am told to wait until tuesday evening!Just keep getting told 5 working days is the minimum time required to fix any problems and this was(never!) advised upon taking out the contract.
Ectophile,5 working days is the answer from all 9 different calls to bt! There is no way to get service any quicker.Asked about paying for an engineer to come next day but keep getting told,not possible and to continue waiting in hope that it will be fixed or an engineer turns up!
I am paying over £56 a month for line,and infinity..hardly cheap.
My works broadband is faster and works out much cheaper for the amount using it(and no slowdowns)

The only reason many people stay with bt is the misguided belief that they have good customer service.

As said before,the phone line is needed for urgent calls,incoming and outgoing abroad. ..
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

as posted the normal wait is 3 days it would appear Openreach are extra busy in your area that is the reason for the delay Openreach provide the network and maintenance for all providers and under OFCOM rule BT get no preferential service the only way to get faster repairs is to pay extra for a higher SLA
0 Ratings
ebury72
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

Well,if extra busy,not in my area as bt via phone and email say the area around me has no problems.
Regardless of ofcom rules,bt are doing nothing to sort.Why can the company that i pay money to book an engineer and give me a date? Take your money and run away at first sign of problems