cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradclarkuk
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

No support from BT in sorting out arrears due to long term ilness.

Go to solution

Hi, 

I have had the last 6 months off from work due to a long term ilness. As a result of being on statutory sick pay for so long I had fallen behind with many of the bills. I have now returned to work and started to earn a decent wage again but not fully back in the black.

I called BT today to maye an initial payment of £120 of an arrears of £387 in the hope that they would then reinstate service (at least incoming) and allow me to setup a reoccuring payment plan.

I called BT and was met by a confusing person in the now famous BT call centre. Absolutely no support, no help, no appreciation of my circumstances.

I pleaded and almost begged and got nowhere, I said I didnt mind just having incoming calls only until the arrears is cleared. The guy on the other end said that The policy was pay all or nothing. I explained that I literally only have £120 in the bank account until I get paid again next month.

I thought I was doing the right thing by using the little funds I had left to make, in my mind, a significant payment towards clearing the arrears. He then said could I pay £300 or £200 and I said £120 is literally all I had, to the penny - he then said its the policy to only accept payment in full and that they do not do installments or payment plans - I questioned why then did he ask if i could pay £300 or £200 and he started backtracking and getting flustered. 

I am now in the situation that I have to use a neigbours phone to call BT to sort this out and friends and family cannot contact me. I have been through so much stress in the past few months and just as things were looking up, BT has gone and made me feel rubbish as well as isolated from friends and family.

My other utilities, gas, electricity with scottish power and Broadband with O2 were very understanding and sympathetic and accepted my payments and allowed me to pay the rest either after payday or as installments.

I am appalled that BT has no dept. to deal with financial difficulty as the other companies had dedicated staff to deal with this matter.  I am convinced to move to another provider entirely once I have paid up in full. I use my phone a lot for business and have spent £1000's over the past year.......I guess that means nothing when you need a little help.

Is there anything I can do to at least get incoming calls back?

I hope you can help.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
bradclarkuk
Beginner
Message 2 of 8

Re: No support from BT in sorting out arrears due to long term ilness.

Go to solution

I have made a couple more payments from credit cards, leaving an arrears of £157 now instead of the £387, but still no help at all from BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

BT are a profit-making company, not a public service.  They aren't interested in your personal circumstances, just when you are going to pay the bill.

The banks have a regulator breathing down their necks, and they have to deal with customers fairly or get hit with big fines.  BT has OFCOM, who are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
bradclarkuk
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Ectophile, I am not asking for the moon! I have paid BT thousands of pounds and until getting ill had been a perfect customer.....im not asking for money off or not paying, just a bit of understanding and flexibility - its clearly not too much to ask for the dozens of other companies i have dealt with over the past couple of weeks. I recall having tow ait months for a repayment when my bills were overpayed by £300 yet they are not willing to wait 11 days.

But I guess your right, that would be too much to expect from a company that fails its customers on such a scale on a daily basis.

Deregulation and increased competition has done little to make BT change their ways. With that in mind I have begun switching to another provider - one that has sympathetic Human beings to "interact" with who are based in the same nation as the service I require.

After years of dissapointment, I only have myself to blame for not switching sooner and waiting till I needed support and my phone the most.

B

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi Bradclarkuk,

I would like to take a look at the details of your account. Please can you send me in your BT account details using the "Contact Us" form found in my profile? You can find this in the "about me" section of my profile.

Thanks

Paddy

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
bradclarkuk
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Hi paddy. Sent my details to you through your page. Hope you got them ok.

Thanks.

Brad
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Hi Brad,

I have your email here so I'll get back to you shortly about this.

Thanks,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
bradclarkuk
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Just got off the phone to the wonderful Stephanie, very lovely person. Has sorted it all out. I said I would eat my words if this forum works..... looks like it does..... I guess I was a bit emotional about it all.

The call centre people are just following their prescribed scripts so I cant really blame them. But it is wonderful to know that there is a place to turn to (here) with problems that deviate from the norm.

Consider my words well and truly eaten!

Thank you Stephanie and BT.

Brad