cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Danje
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

No test socket & connection drops when incoming calls are made.

Go to solution

Hi, just a quickie.

I moved into this property 6-7months ago, in which it was just built the same month of me moving in. Everything here is new, and I have noticed that I have no test socket. Since day 1 I have been having constant disconnects on incoming phone calls, whenever anyone rings, the internet will drop and my modem will lose internet connection. I have tried 3 different filters, RJ cables & sockets. 

There is no test socket, I'm sure of that, I have checked don't worry lol.

I'm assuming it's an external NTE.

Any idea why I would be getting these disconnects, they happen every single time someone phones, which is VERY annoying. 

Thank you

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: No test socket & connection drops when incoming calls are made.

Go to solution

Its quite possible that its an external NTE, so there will not be a test socket inside. Do you have any extensions connected, or is there just one phone socket on the wall?

If you unplug your phone and ring your number from a mobile, does the Internet still drop out while you can hear the ring tone?

Danje
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I have about 8 sockets in my house in total. I edited my post saying about the e-NTE. If I unplug the house phone and ring it the connection still drops. This is with an extension or without, it will always drop.

Thank you for your answer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Do you have anything else plugged into any of the sockets?

0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Nope, nothing at all, just filter, modem & phone. If someone rings the internet drops, but phone call still continues fine. Makes no difference if I answer it or not, it drops as soon as the call happens. 

I'm guessing it's a wiring problem somewhere. Modem log shows nothing out of the ordinary.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

If its possible to disconnect the extension wiring from the first socket, that would eliminate any fault in that part.

If it still drops out, then there has to be a line or exchange equipment fault, and you will have to report it to BT as a broadband fault. There is a remote chance that it could be your home hub, so if you can get hold of another one to try, it may be worthwhile.

I know that some of the home hub 2s can go faulty and cause this problem.

At least you will have proven the wiring your side of the eNTE.

0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
With the extension or not, in the first socket entering the property (right where the openreach box is outside), it still drops my connection.

I am currently using a modem supplied by Virgin Media, as that is my actual supplier, but obviously use the BT line to receive my connection. I am looking to switch to BT when BT Infinity is enabled in my area.

When I report faults to Virgin Media they just push me aside and say it's a BT fault etc...

Can't wait to switch tbh, it's been nothing but trouble. This modem is useless and the wireless doesn't work 90% of the time. I shall try another router when I can to rule that out before raising a fault.

Thank you for the replies.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I am sorry, if you had said you were using Virgin Media, then I would have told you that its their responsibility, as its could be their broadband equipment.

Sorry there is nothing else anyone can do here, as this forum is for BT Broadband customers only. You will have to chase up Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Danje
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Like I said, I only came here to discuss the lines as Virgin Media will only tell me to get in contact with you. I will test the problems with the router before calling Virgin Media, who will then tell me to call BT ;).

Sorry if I broke some rules, but my intention was not to push a Virgin Media fault on BT, the lines are BT's, if I'm correct?
0 Ratings