cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Unix_Guy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

No voice line or dial tone, intermittent internet problems. HELP!!

Hi,

We have been experiencing intermittent internet connectivity for a few months, an engineer visited but could not find any specific fault at the time of his visit (due to the fault being intermitant).

To make matters worse we now have no voice line which is our only form voice communication as we live in a rural area with no mobile signal, so we are now virtually cut off with no voice line and dodgy internet. I have just tried to run a line test via BT's test page but it was unable to do the test and asked us to call BT which we obviously can not do!

Please help

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: No voice line or dial tone, intermittent internet problems. HELP!!

As you are connected to the Internet at the moment, you can report the phone fault online. Once the phone fault is fixed, your broadband will get better.

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults

If you can find a phone box, or a neighbour`s phone, you can call 0800 800 151 and report the fault. That number is also free from mobiles.

0 Ratings
Unix_Guy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi Keith

Firstly thanks for the link, unfortunately it is the page I tried before and just says that it is unable to perform a test on the line.

As we are rural and without a mobile signal it now means we will need to drive somewhere else to report the fault, which not very good service.

I am pleased to say I am able bodied and have my own car but for those less fortunate this is not simply not acceptable. Elderly people in rural areas often rely on their phone line for emergencies, BT you need to be able to accept ALL types of fault reports on line not just some!

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 09.40.32.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

What sort of line do you have?

Is it FTTP (Fibre To The Premises), where you have a special optical network termination?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Unix_Guy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Hi Keith,

If only we did have FTTP, unfortunately we are too remote for that. We still have a copper pair to the premises, somewhere in the region of seven miles back to the exchange.

Briefly this is our problem :-

1> We can not report the line fault from home as the line is (obviously) faulty.

2> We do not have ANY mobile reception locally.

3> BT's online fault reporting tool does not work for our type of line (don't know why).

4> We have called BT while out in town earlier, the automated system states that we do indeed have a fault and that BT will be in touch to arrange an engineer visit, and to update us via SMS!

My question is "How will BT get in touch when we have no phone line and no mobile signal"??? Their entire fault reporting and resolution system seems to rely on us having a mobile signal for communication, which we obviously do not have, so now we have not idea what is happening without any form of communication and we will be unable to arrange an engineer visit.

The frustrating thing is it could be so simple to report and resolve with all of today's technology, but alas the automated you system does not work, we cannot talk to anyone. I did try customer services while in town earlier but after being cut off twice i gave up.

I just hope we don't require an emergency service, doctor or ambulance. As apart from our (currently working) Internet we have no means of external communication. We will be most definitely making a formal complaint and asking for a rebate as this service is unacceptable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Its a bit strange, I have never seen that message unless the person is not a BT Retail customer, and is with another Service Provider like Sky, TalkTalk etc who have their own equipment installed in the exchange.

Its Openreach who maintain the lines.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

If you are 7 miles from the exchange you probably won't get any reliable broadband service , it's just too far from the exchange (it's physics, longer line, more electrical loss, poor speed, if you get service at all) , as far as contacting you, as you say they cannot contact you on a non working landline, and you have no mobile service, but this isn't really your providers fault, if they text you, when you are in an area with mobile service you should then get any texts they have sent you

if  you have raised a fault, then it should be getting looked at, the only delay could be if the problem appears to be at your property, as they need to get you to accept the potential for charges before they send someone to your home, if the test  shows the fault location as the exchange or lineplant  they should dispatch an engineer to the location without contacting you

the fact that you get an unusual message when you try to test the line yourself suggests you are not on a normal line, perhaps your line is TPON or similar...what's your exchange area called ?

0 Ratings
Unix_Guy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Hi Iniltous,

Yup your quite right, longer length = higher resistance & volt drop (i'm an electrical eng.). Yes I agree it is not their fault that they cannot contact me via mobile phone but at the same time they need to provide alternate method(s) of contact eg email, webchat, etc. I can do no more than what I have done.

The issue will be arranging a visit to the property as we have no method of voice communication, and last time we had an issue (Internet) BTs customer service dept. and also the engineer both called us via landline to arrange a convenient time and date, we now have no line so will not be able to do so, however a simple email would be fine but there seems no option to do so.

As for charges luckily we have only one master socket with no extensions so the fault can only be on BT's circuit, we have tried another phone also but the fault is still present.

As for the line i'm not sure what type of line we have but we are definitely BT customers.

0 Ratings
Unix_Guy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Anther day with no phone line, Cut off with no form of outside communication, other than Internet. No contact from BT left completely in the dark regarding the repair. Please can one of the forum mods contact us as this forum is our only method of communication with BT.
0 Ratings