Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmsajid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

No wiring inside Master Socket

Go to solution

Hi 

I moved to a new property and I am a new BT customer. The engineer visit to my home was yesterday but when I spoke to him after waiting for about 6 hours to get my new line installed, he said that he is not coming as Openreach has put all engineers on hold for a home visit due to COVID-19.  

However, I opened the Openreach BT socket and saw no wiring inside, is this expected? It is an NTE5 socket. Is there any possibility that there may be more than one socket within this two-bed property.

It is hard to get hold of the technical team due to the current situation, so I can't blame them.

Sorry for this silly question as this is the first time I am moving to the Openreach ecosystem.

Regards

Sajid

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: No wiring inside Master Socket

Go to solution

can you see the openreach phone cable attached to your home - probably from pole

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ahmsajid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
I haven't checked that but I can definitely take a look at it today if there is a phone line or not. However, during e-chat with Openreach, they mentioned about my property: "the engineer has tested the line and it looks like calls should be working ok".
But not sure why the socket seems empty without any wiring when I removed the Faceplate. So I am not sure if this is something expected.

Is it essential for an engineer visit to my place? Or is it something I can do it myself?

I assume since there is a socket that means previous tenants may have been with Openreach.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

if you just removed the faceplate then only wires you would see are the wires to any extension sockets.  the main wire from outside would connect to terminals A&B on the backplate which you would not see unless you remove the backplate   have you tried connecting a corded phone and see if you get a dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ahmsajid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
if you just removed the faceplate then only wires you would see are the wires to any extension sockets.
Answer: I don't see any wires connected when I remove the faceplate.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

then you have no extension sockets connected but the connection for the master socket is on the back of the backplate so you would not see it by removing faceplate

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

Extension Socket Wiring, if you have any doesn’t connect to the Faceplate of the NTE5c.

Is there any wiring connected to the AB Terminals at the back of the NTE5c backplate?

0 Ratings
ahmsajid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
Let me open and check it now.
0 Ratings
ahmsajid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

@Starwire @imjolly 

Extension Socket Wiring, if you have any doesn’t connect to the Faceplate of the NTE5c.

Is there any wiring connected to the AB Terminals at the back of the NTE5c backplate?

Answer:  I opened the backplate and indeed I can see 4 wires and two wires are connected. So I assume two of them are AB terminals(Organe+White wire), but the other two wires(Green+black) which are disconnected not sure if they need to be connected anywhere. Screenshots below:

Faceplate open

FaceplateFaceplate

Backplate open

BackplateBackplate

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

Ah, that’s an NTE5a, not a 5c.

That cable is a D/W10b. It’s a 0.5/2 Pair. Orange/White is Pair 1. The Green/Black is Pair 2 so shouldn’t be connected.

0 Ratings