cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Noise on line

Go to solution

Hi all,

We have had noise on the line for some time. I ran the diagnostics and got to the point where i had to take the face plate off Master Socket, the noise vanished but I was still using my internal wiring. Replaced the face plate, noise back again. How do I go about reporting the problem as it is in their equipment.

Thanks,

Gerald

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Noise on line

Go to solution

if you took off faceplate and connected to test socket you automatically disconnect your internal wiring  it sounds like a problem with internal wiring and if so that is you problem and will be charged for engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
"the noise vanished but I was still using my internal wiring."

I connected the internal lead to the test socket, so that rules out the internal wiring
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Sorry but I don't understand 

If you remove the master faceplate and then connect to test socket then you remove all your internal extension phone sockets from causing a problem and if the noise ceases then andreappears when faceplate reconnected then problem is with your internal phone wiring  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Yep, you lost me too. Was it noisy if you plugged a known working corded phone into the test point of your main socket? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Not noisy if plugged directly into test socket, still not noisy if plugged into extension lead which is then plugged into test socket.
Noisy if plugged into face plate, still noisy if plugged into extension lead which is then plugged into face plate.

FYI

Worked for a few years back when it was GPO telephones, it was a good while ago and a lot has changed, there were still a few manual exchanges area covered by our team, all the automatic exchanges were Strowger switching units

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious,  you've got a dodgy faceplate,  by the sound of it.    I don't know whether or not it's possible to replace just the faceplace  ( others on here will )  or whether you need to replace the whole socket;    if it's only the faceplate that's the problem rather than the master socket or anything else external,  I'm not sure whether BT would send you a replacement faceplate or whether they'd want to send out an engineer to replace the whole socket.    As I say,  others on here will have more in-depth knowledge on this.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Sounds like you have a Plug In Extension Cord, what a lot of Openreach Engineers call, ‘A Tesco Special’.

Is there anything actually wired into the faceplate if it’s an NTE5a or into the front part of the back plate of the NTE if it’s a 5c? 

If not then it’s possibly is the front plate that’s faulty, may have oxidisation or something on it causing the noise.

I don’t think BT can post face plates, chances are they’ll send a Qube Bloke to replace it. Should be a simple job but from experience I find those Qube guys would probably forget their own name if their mother hadn’t sown it into their underwear for them so good luck.

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
It says on the back plate Master Socket 5C and on the front plate OPENREACH MK4. I have seen some for sale on Amazon and eBay. I'll leave it in the test socket for a few days to see what happens and if still okay get a new master socket and replace the face plate.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Ah right, it’s a MK4 SSFP. Come across a few of them that have caused noisy lines.

If you can get a replacement online is I’d do that then.