My broadband drops intermittently and there is considerable background noise on phone calls. I have conducted tests from the NTE5 test jack (i.e with cover removed) as follows; I plugged a corded phone into the test line jack and tested using 17070 Quiet Line test and heard intermittent crackling on an otherwise reasonably quiet line. The same was observed with a second corded phone so got BT to test line and all found to be OK. I then plugged an ADSL filter into the test line jack and connected my Home Hub 3 and phone to that. I called 17070 Quiet Line again and listened while I switched on the Home Hub. The line was as before through Power up light and Wireless connection light sequences but then after a few pulses of the Broadband light, as the Broadband connection was being established, low level hissing and sizzling noises were heard which remained after the Broadband was up and running. This hissing and sizzling disappeared as soon as the Hub was switched off. I tried the test sequence again with a different ADSL filter and with a different Home Hub 3. I've checked the Broadband speed and the results are 'Good'. Anybody had the same problem or know what might be causing the Broadband to interfere with the phone line ?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Report it as a noisy phone line, its probably a high resistance joint somewhere on the external network.
Ok thanks. Reported as noisy line to 150. Surprisingly good response from call centre and O/R engineer out at 8am next day. Engineer spent a long time testing and swapping pairs at NTE, exchange and DP. Diagnosed as fault in lead-in to house but wanted more experienced engineer to confirm. More experienced engineer out next day and confirmed diagnosis and arranged for Contractors to lay new cable from DP to NTE. 5 days later Contractors turn up out of the blue. Unfortunately no one at home to receive them so I'm left a message. Contractor calls me at 8pm to arrange time to come next day and arrive as arranged to dig up pavement and my garden to lay cable. Next day O/R van outside our house - but not for us this time - for next door neighbour who has now lost service (strange that because our line now has no noise !). Service restored and engineer says pavement needs to be dug up again and DP removed and replaced in cable chamber. Next day Contractors supervisor out on site-visit to measure up and plan work. 4 days later pavement dug up and barriers in place. Next day logged on to Track My Fault online to see an engineer had been allocated at 7.30am who duly arrives late morning and works with a colleague for the rest of the day to replace DP in cable chamber and terminate new lead-in cable at both ends. Engineer says problem was actually in the cable head where several pairs were corroded and fell apart when moved so I suspect I have actually done several neighbours a favour in reporting this fault. My line appears to be good so far. Thanks.