cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
NiceRedTrousers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Noisy line + broadband drop-outs for months!

So we have been having problems for months with a noisy line, and slow/unreliable broadband.  Finally an engineer comes out, replaces the master socket and a bit of cabling.  Result?  No improvement!

That suggests that the socket (although old) was fine, so I'll be contesting any charge for replacing it.  I had already replaced the ADSL filter.

The reviews of BT are generally spot on: "When it works, it's good, but when it doesn't, expect poor service and frustration".

I managed to speak to someone today - not sure which country they were in - and he said he'd call me back after testing the line.  Of course, no callback.

So apart from switching to Virgin Media - with their own cabliing and therefore making this a non-problem - any other suggestions out there?

NRT

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Noisy line + broadband drop-outs for months!

if you try quiet line test and there is line noise then report a phone fault to 151 - not broadband fault

try dialing 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone at teat socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NiceRedTrousers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks I'll give it a go!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

I have a noisy line just done the 17070 test option 2 still noisy crackling on popping on the line 

BUT it is slient through the test socket 

I have the ADSL v1 socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Do you have extension wiring connected to the back of the bottom half of the adsl v1?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NiceRedTrousers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I tried 17070 - crackling on the line.  This is with a new socket.  If I get charged for the socket I'll hit the roof.

I then tried 151 as suggested - I get a 'Sorry you can't dial this number from this line' message.

The broadband is still slow and drops out.

They fixed the line from the exchange twice last year because of losing our phone completely, so my gut feeling is that there's another problem outside the house.

What next?  Apart from switching to Virgin cable out of sheer exasperation!  It uses a different line in, so the problem will then go away, even if it is frustrating not to get it fixed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@NiceRedTrousers wrote:

I tried 17070 - crackling on the line.  This is with a new socket.  If I get charged for the socket I'll hit the roof.

I then tried 151 as suggested - I get a 'Sorry you can't dial this number from this line' message.

The broadband is still slow and drops out.

Are you a BT phone and broadband customer

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

If it is a BT line then 151 should work but yiu can try 0800800151

0 Ratings
NiceRedTrousers
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Yes I am a BT phone and broadband customer.

Not for much longer at this rate.

151 doesn't work but the 0800 number does.  Last time I called an advisor (from my work line) he started running some tests on my home line, said he'd call me back due to the length of time it took to test the line.....and that was the last I heard.

Forgive me if I sounded jaded or cynical about the whole process.  I guess I could give it another go....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

until you get engineer visit and remove the crackle from your line you are not going to make progress with your broadband

0 Ratings