Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Noisy line cured by hanging up multiple times

Hi,
I was without the net several hours yesterday before I decided to have a listen to the line, it was very noisy. I hung up and listened again a moment later, the static was still there, but had lessened, so I tried again, by the fourth time I hung up the line was clear and the home hub went straight online.
This morning I've had to do the same as during the night the noise seems to have started again, but once again was solved by simply listening to the static on the handset(both the main phone and the extension can be used to get rid of the noise it seems).
Could anyone offer me any advice, I can't understand why simply listening to the phone "fixes"it!
Thanks so much for any help.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Noisy line cured by hanging up multiple times

sounds like high ressitance fault and you need to report a phone fault to 151  get sorted and broadband will be ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

@gp349 can you try connecting your phone and hub to the test socket to see if this helps?

test socket.jpg

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks so much for both replies.
When I remove the phone cover I can't see a test socket so can't try that unfortunately!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

are you using the master socket and not an extension socket?  the master is normally the first socket in your home where the openreach wiring enter from outside

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

If you don't have a test port then it's possible that it's not the master socket you have taken the cover off, or it could be you have a LJU ( line jack unit ) master socket that pre dates the NTE5 type sockets ( NTE5 type became standard kit in the early 80's) ...or it could be a decorative , non standard socket.

It isn't as easy to isolate the 'line' from the internal wiring with LJU's , required to establish if a fault is outside or not, outside is Openreach's  responsibility , from 'internal' , which is your own responsibility.

As far as the noise reducing temporarily, if you pick up the phone , then clear down a few times, there is similar situation  where receiving an incoming call does the same thing (makes a noisy line quiet for a short time ) perceived wisdom seems to be that the extra current flow through a high resistance connection  , lowers the resistance , but it soon returns (  as does the noise created by the HR connection) ...best to establish as far as practical if its external to your property , then report your line noisy to your landline rental provider 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

1a.jpg2.jpghere's the pics of the master socket, it was replaced after a fault in the very early 2000's. I don't seem to be able to see a test port anywhere.

The line still continues to be very noisy, thanks again for all replies and help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

You don't see a test port because the socket isn't a NTE5 type master socket, its a line jack unit master socket.

FWIW, it doesn't appear to be wired optimally for broadband performance either, if you have extension sockets and don't really need them, I would identify the -50v battery and earth from th exchange , they will already be connected into terminations 2 and 5 , possibly alongside other wires that run to an extension socket , it's difficult to tell from the photo , you don't need anything on any other termination apart from 2 and 5, the wire on terminal 3 may be slowing down your broadband speed , and it's possible that your noise problem is internal as you have no way of easily isolating the external network from the internal wiring on LJU master sockets.