cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Noisy line, poor internet and dropouts AGAIN!

More noise on the line and internet dropouts over a year since the issue began.

Brief recap -

May 2018 - Severe line noise and internet dropouts meant I had to ring BT.  After losing hours talking to BT customer services and a few pointless engineer visits over the next weeks we were no further toward fixing the issue.  All BT did was check the wiring in my home and tell me it was all ok.

July 2018 - Posted on forums 2 months after reporting to BT out of fustration with not being able so  fix the problem.  Another visit was arranged and after this the line quality seemed to improve even though the engineer had no idea what the issue was.  We still had noise and some connection issues but lived with it.

January 2019 - Line noise again increased in severity with the internet dropping each time someone called. Internet speed was again lower than normal.  An engineer wisit was arrange through the forum.  This engineer had more of a clue as to what was happening and said there was some voltage leak between the wires at the pole outside our home.  He could not get a cherry picker to replace the wiring but had fiddled with it in order to reduce the interference.  This greatly improved the line quality and the internet connection/speed but He did say this was not a permanent fix.  Why he couldn't have arranged this for another time when he could get a cherry picker is beyond me.  Having looked since, the wiring was and is still is not neat and looks like it dates from the 1950's, which it probably does!

However, the problem has now gradually got worse. My wife made a call last week and had to ask the other person to shout over the line noise as it was that bad.  Incoming calls are again causing the internet connection to drop and the speed has reduced from 42 MBps  to a max of 35MBps, indicating the noise is again affecting the connection badly.

I don't fancy spending hours explaining this to BT yet again and having endless engineer visits without rectifying the issue when we know what the problem is.  I'm paying my standing charge and call fees just like everybody else and I feel that after a year of living with this poor line its about time BT sorted it out properly.  I'm only asking for the quality of service I'm paying for!  I've just about had enough of this now and I'm feeling it may be time to get someone like OFCOM involved.

Can someone help me arrange a proper engineer visit to finally fix the shoddy wiring outside my home?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Noisy line, poor internet and dropouts AGAIN!

Hi @Majorbugout 

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

I recall that it was me that gave you a hand with this in January.  Sorry this fault has returned again Smiley Sad

We'll pick this up again to see if we can get you a permanent fix.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi @Majorbugout 

Thanks for taking the time to chat with me today.

I will give you a shout next Friday too.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

BT telephone engineer arranged for this morning . . . 

Surprisingly he did not arrive  . . . .  (This is not the first time this has happened)

Not impressed!

👎

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Being a bit of a pedant, it’s an Openreach engineer not a BT engineer.
0 Ratings
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Seriously?

Have you nothing better to do with your time ?

0 Ratings
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Openreach engineer finally turned up this morning.  Checked the wiring,  and said there was no problem.

He left saying to call them if there is noise on the line again.

Starting to feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall!

The problem is intermittent!  If arrange an engineer visit the problem always seems to disappear in the week it takes to actually get out to check the line.

I'm in the exact same position I was 14 months ago with a crappy telephone line and diminishing internet connectivity.

Anyone got the number for OFCOM ??

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Hi, @Majorbugout,

Thank you for posting back. I'm sorry the engineer wasn't able to identify and fix the fault on the line. I can see @RobbieMac is dealing with your case. He'll get this investigated and will follow up with you tomorrow when he is back in the office.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Thanks for your message.

Still waiting for that call.

We will DEFINITELY need another visit as the phone is now very noisy. Now probably the worst it has been! 

I can't even hear the dial tone it's that bad!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

is the noise obvious when you use the test socket with a filter? 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings