cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Noisy line, poor internet and dropouts. How long!

Go to solution

It's been a good 7 months since this issue began originally posted

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Ongoing-fault-2-months-and-getting-nowhere/m-p/1859382#M59644 

. . . and a good 9 months since the issue began.

I still have a very noisy line. Especially when wet or cold. So much so that you cannot hear the person on the other of the line.   Here's an example recording on the quiet line test

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8wc5core6a4o2e/LineNoise.mp3?dl=0

Also, as a result my internet connection drops whenever anyone rings or I pick up the phone to ring anyone else. I used to get a good 42mbps connection but this has dropped to a hard 35mbps and lower depending upon the weather!

Initially it took 3 engineer visits and the problem was not really diagnosed. The final Openreach engineer said he had "fiddled" it seemed better and to see how it went on.  During the dry summer it was fine (no damp!) but over this winter it has deteriorated.  I think we now need to get it sorted once and for all. Especially for the ever increasing cost.

Can one of the moderators possibly get something arranged without having to do all the standard weeks of basic tests and engineers?  This is obviously a wiring issue that needs to be fixed.

Had enough now!

Help!

Nick

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Noisy line, poor internet and dropouts. How long!

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @Majorbugout

Sorry to read the line issues have reared their head once more with the damp weather. We can look into this for you.

I've sent you a private message asking for the details we need to investigate, click the link below to access your private messages:

https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
Majorbugout
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Engineer turned up today unannounced and declared he would fix the issue with my line.

Apparently  there was some kind of voltage leak in wiring at the top of the pole near my house (it's very old and messy).  The engineer spent a few hours tidying this up.  Feel sorry for him in the cold.  I was at work but the wife said he was very "old school" which was definitely meant as a compliment.

At the moment the line is quiet and the internet is connected at a good 45mbps with a very low ping.  The old wiring may mean the issue resurfaces in the future but at least we'll now know where to look.  We shall have to see how it settles but it looks like we've found the issue at last.

Thank you Stuart for dealing with this and getting me such a rapid and positive response.

Much Kudos :smileyhappy:

0 Ratings