Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RedRuby27
Contributor
Message 31 of 34

Re: Nuisance calls from 08009539090

I've just taken a call at 5pm today 11 June 2015 from someone purporting to be calling on behalf of BT offering me discounts on my BT account. I am registered with TPS & told him so. He seemed surprised. I told him I get copious emails from BT selling me stuff, so stop calling my landline. There must be someway to get them to stop making these random nuisance calls? Anyone got advice please?

0 Ratings
louloulou
Message 32 of 34

Surprised to see complaints about this number over 5 years (!).

I got a call from this 0800 number today, a slightly pushy individual asking to speak to my mum (in her 60s but nobody's fool) and I said I was her daughter, what's the reason for calling? To offer some great BT deals, he said, but what is her provider? he asked.

Well, if you have her phone number, you must have some information about her already - no? He asked again and I said, Sorry, I'm not letting you know any details, we're not interested.

Cold calls, especially in today's climate, are a waste of time (one example is the TalkTalk hacking where "customer service agents" were phoning customers and gaining their trust by sharing the client's name, address, phone number, account number - the objective was to get bank account details, and apparently this ruse was very successful for these scammers).

Even if these cold callers are BT-approved, most safety savvy people don't want to do business from a cold call, with internet crime so rife nowadays.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 34

louloulou wrote:

most safety savvy people don't want to do business from a cold call, with internet crime so rife nowadays.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure that's correct but there must be enough non-savvy people to make cold-calling worthwhile, whether genuine or not, or they wouldn't be happening.

The sure way to end this modern curse is for legislation to ban all cold calls on behalf of UK businesses and organisations unless the target has specifically and positively agreed to receive them from the caller. Following some high-profile scandals, they're about to introduce curbs on charities, but why only charities? If all were outlawed, any which were persisted could automatically be treated as a scam and they would die out.

Not much chance of that while the government is a friend of so many of the culprits.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 34

@pottyperson wrote:

@louloulou wrote:

most safety savvy people don't want to do business from a cold call, with internet crime so rife nowadays.

Not much chance of that while the government is a friend of so many of the culprits.

Probably far too many MP's are on the boards of some of these companies and don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings