cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grainfoot
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Number change

I am just changing to fttp with BT but I real uneasy about the way it is been done. My transfer date is the 31st of this month. 

I have been told I will be given a new phone number but once the line is activated I can call and transfer to my original phone number. Is this right as I don’t want to loose my phone number I have had for 25 plus years.

Also I have received a letter saying one of BT’s customers is moving to my address and want to take over the services on 31st may. Also that I need to contact my phone company to get them to cancel their side.

Never had this before when changing provider is this standard practice. We are changing from copper to fibre.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Number change

Welcome to this user forum. @grainfoot 

Who is your current landline provider?

Whether you can keep your number depends on which provider originally issued it, and which provider your number belongs to.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

If your number belongs to BT Retail, then there is good chance you can keep it. That may depend on how your phone connection is delivered, whether it over the existing copper network, or by Fibre Voice.

If its copper, and its a BT Retail owned number, and you have not moved address since you were first issued with the number, then its not usually a problem to keep the number.

0 Ratings
grainfoot
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Currently with Plusnet and have been with BT in past. Is it normal for me have to notify Plusnet of move.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

When you were with BT Retail, are you still living at the same addrress?

If you are moving to FTTP, then you may be moving totally off the copper network, and Plusnet would not be aware, so that is the reason you would need to tell them.

Also, they would be holding your phone number, and will need to release it back to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
grainfoot
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Same address with BT previously.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@grainfoot wrote:

Same address with BT previously.

Then I do not see any problems keeping your number. You would be given a temporary number until Plusnet release the number back to BT Retail.

I assume you are still keeping the copper pair for the phone, but your broadband is going to be delivered optically. Has the optical cable and ONT been fitted in your house yet?

Looks like this.

ont.jpg

0 Ratings
grainfoot
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Not sure what will be kept but an engineer is coming on the 31st to fit and connect.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@grainfoot wrote:

Not sure what will be kept but an engineer is coming on the 31st to fit and connect.

I would expect that the phone will be delivered over the existing copper pair. Fibre Voice is only normally used where there is no existing copper pair, like in a new build.

I cannot see any problems occurring.

0 Ratings
grainfoot
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Thanks Feel more reassured now . Should Plusnet be notified of change date straight away.

0 Ratings